Will this be okay?

Submitted by Red on 4/30/06 at 5:17 PM. ( harris60@earthlink.net ) 65.40.205.246

I salted some deer hides to send to the tannery. I had trouble drying them, since it's been so humid, so I hung them up in my attic with a fan blowing on them. They dried hard in about a day and a half. It is hot up there, but it's dry and the fan is blowing.
My question is, will they be okay up there for a few days before I ship them? Will the heat damage them?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

ouch!

This response submitted by Mr.T on 4/30/06 at 5:40 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.6

Heat and raw meat is not a good thing unless you are grilling. It would have been better to go the other way and do it in the cool basement. You wont know until you get them back from the tanner now wither they are ruined or not. Wow, the heat would have escalated any bacteria that is present in every decaying cape, salting in a cool area is a better practice. If Stop Rot was used before hand, you would have a better chance of survival. Who knows, you may not have a problem, but history says the chances now are slim. Let us know how they turn out.

I thought about that...

This response submitted by Red on 4/30/06 at 11:16 PM. ( harris60@earthlink.net ) 65.40.205.246

...but I remembered the fur houses I've been in, and their drying rooms were heated. What's the difference?

dry heat vs. humid heat

This response submitted by Griz on 5/1/06 at 12:02 AM. ( ) 69.66.86.185

it's like comparing a sauna to a dehydrator. You say it's humid so that's scary, heat and moisture is what is dangerous. But you did say they were hard at a day and a half so you should be okay, especially if they were drained good, salted good, and weren't in your cool basement three days trying to dry before you moved them to your attic. They'll be okay for a few days in a warm room, if they are bone dry and out of direct sunlight and away from a direct heat source. But I wouldn't use it for permanent storage without them being shaved and preferrably tan.

Return to Tanning Category Menu