Ruined for DP

Submitted by Jerry on 5/10/06 at 8:34 PM. ( ) 4.153.240.47

For all those people who use dry perservative, you dont know what your missing. I tried McKenze Tan and I'm never going back to DP. If you dont tan you should. Tell me about it these things have ruined me for Braile.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Careful with that broad brush Jerry

This response submitted by George on 5/10/06 at 8:41 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.71

Not that I don't agree with your concept, HOWEVER, DP has many uses in any taxidermy shop. Birds for one, fish to altering degrees according to recipe, and for my money, all small game. I don't make enough doing a squirrel or a rabbit or a coyote lifesize to bother with tanning it except under extreme circumstances. Once you've learned DP's capabilities and the novelty of tanning "everything" wears off, you'll keep some in the shop for those "just in case" jobs.

Im a Beginner

This response submitted by Jerry on 5/10/06 at 10:44 PM. ( ) 4.152.246.189

Ive only mounted a few racoons, a fox, and about 15 deer heads. I love McKenzie tan it has an excellent stretch. I done what MrT said and oiled the cape after I tanned it and after I stretched it it went from a 21" neck to a 22" neck, I'm still going to stick with the 21" measurment for the form maybe even a 20".

Jerry your on the right track now

This response submitted by Laurier on 5/11/06 at 9:57 AM. ( houlel@onlink.net ) 209.105.209.19

Jerry now you have right tan it do not DP do not cut corners if you tan it you will never have any dought in your mind that your mount cou8ld fall apart.

George if you do not make enough money in small animals to tan then,
It is very easy to solve that problem ( charge more ) and tan it.LOL!

Worth and cost are two separate issues Laurier

This response submitted by George on 5/11/06 at 11:51 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.136

Small game is not WORTH the COST to me personally. I have squirrels that are 40 years old mounted with Calorex. They look like crap but they look like they did when I mounted them. Can't ask for much more than that even if it were tanned.

Return to Tanning Category Menu