Need Advice Fast

Submitted by beth wayned on 5/15/06 at 12:51 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.6

HI, I have a question that I need answered quick. I have a deer hide that when thawed out appeared to be slipping a little on the edges in places. I quickly fleshed and thinned the hide and applied salt...the problem seems to have improved, but is only a temporary fix, as I still need to turn the ears, do the nose, lips, etc. So, being with out time to continue this step for at least 8 hours, I made sure that the hide was thoroughly salted and froze it. Thinking I should keep it as cold as possible. Now I am faced with the dread that I may have done something wrong, and am on the path of destroying someones trophy (this is a 22 1/4" whitetail cape). I have no stop-slip or stop-rot on hand. What do I do?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

take 20 minutes

This response submitted by ` on 5/15/06 at 1:07 AM. ( ` ) 66.112.57.157

Just split open lips,10 minutes,don't try to shave them, split open eyes tissue,don't shave it, 5 minutes,
run an ear opener in those ears pop em open ,5 minutes, salt it and let it set an hour, THEN drop it right in the tan get ph 1 or .05 and a little heavier salt solution
Pickle a little longer than normal to make sure it penetrated.
I get african capes all the time no split lips and ears not turned
Your skin is better off doing this NOW then trying to re freeze
Do it now.

this advice you wont like

This response submitted by terryr on 5/15/06 at 1:08 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

dont do the turning in sections - do it all at once - never salt and refreeze - the skin WILL NOT FREEZE covered in salt - pull it out and do everything at once - since you have stop rot i would shake off salt and paint on right away - let set for 30-45 minutes and then finish up - i use krowtann but it sounds like you dont - you wil need to resalt again and let set overnite and then resalt one more time - most times you would rehydrate b4 going into pickle - i would go straight into pickle without rehydrating - you have screwed around too much on this already - in the future budget your time correctly and you wont 'need advice fast' - switch to krowtann and it will make your life even easier

All I have to say is...

This response submitted by Mary on 5/15/06 at 1:13 AM. ( ) 68.2.189.197

...never salt anything going into a freezer. The salt will prevent it from freezing. Works the same as throwing salt on icy streets or sidewalks = melted ice. I'ld get that salt off asap, then refreeze, order some stop slip, then take out of the freezer and use your product and continue on.
Best of luck to you.

Read People

This response submitted by 1 on 5/15/06 at 1:32 AM. ( 1 ) 66.112.57.157

She doesn;t have any of this stop rot.
Beth do what was stated above NOW and you'll be fine
Salt for an hour and get into a pickle, rough split lips open ears get some salt on it for an hour and sink it in pickle.

Thanx...

This response submitted by beth on 5/15/06 at 1:44 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.72

i am on it, thanx for the fast reply...wish me luck! I quickly ordered some stop-rot as well, just to be extra insured. Thanx again.

Johnny come lately, Next time-

This response submitted by oldshaver on 5/15/06 at 8:14 PM. ( ) 68.221.24.240

throw your skin straight in pickle, with a little extra salt. After pickle for 3 or 4 hours, turn lips, nose, etc. Put straight back in pickle overnight. Then flesh, and back in pickle. Avoid agitation. For situations like this, a little alum kept on hand would come in handy.

PS

This response submitted by os on 5/15/06 at 8:14 PM. ( ) 68.221.24.240

Do you folks sleep?

since nobody is sleeping ill throw in something

This response submitted by paul e on 5/16/06 at 11:06 AM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 68.222.59.198

Glen correct me please if i add something wrong
now beth this is for future skins
ive had better results using the stop-rot first before the salt
i believe if it works first it will work better
then after the hour wait split,and turn and i add a little more after turning
now you can flesh to high heaven if you want at this point
i like to do it all at once if i can
paul e

Return to Tanning Category Menu