George Roof...tanning a coyote

Submitted by Forrest Sue on 5/15/06 at 9:52 PM. ( forrestzoo ) 76.0.163.173

George,
I read your post to a fellow about DPing several small game and that's what I do.But have not done a coyote. I have had that professionally wet tanned for a full body mount and a great tan for a rug. But with so many asking about whatt o do about a "greasy" hair feel or smell I am a little apprehensive about tyring it for this next one I have to do. So..no pickle? flesh and wash & DP? No smell? No grease? Thanks for reading
Forrest Sue

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Not Quite

This response submitted by George on 5/15/06 at 11:41 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.5

Like otters and beavers, after they have been fleshed and shaved, the MUST be degreased quickly before DPing and mounting. I actually wash and then tumble my hides before mounting them. The ears are the worst part on all the canids, but if you turn them and the hair stays intact, you're more likely to be able to push off the washing and tumbling without any effect either. This is just one of those jobs that can't be put off nor can the hide be refrozen or refrigerated. It's an all or nothing situation. Any roadkill gets a pickle, but a freshly taken canid goes to the DP processing.

Thanks

This response submitted by Forrest Sue on 5/16/06 at 11:11 AM. ( ) 76.0.163.173

Alrighty then.. I'll do this one as it was fresh skinned. you're a gentleman and a scholar. FS

Return to Tanning Category Menu