How to get smell out of moose hide to be used for drum heads

Submitted by Linni Esther on 5/18/06 at 3:34 PM. ( linniesther@hotmail.com ) 216.152.180.116

I live in Talkeetna, Alaska and was "gifted" with two road-kill moose hides in Feb 06. Kept them frozen in a snow bank until I could put them into a flowing stream to help loosen the hair, which took weeks, because the water was so cold. That done, I have stretched them, scraped off the hair, fat and muscle...and they still stink. Any ideas about how to reduce the odor, so I can actually use these amazing hides for drum heads?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

It sounds like

This response submitted by Trapper on 5/18/06 at 6:10 PM. ( trapper@wideopenwest.com ) 24.192.38.149

the rawhide is not dry yet, in which case they will still have an odor. I've made a few drums myself. From hand held to large Powwow drums. Moose have thick skin down the back. Perfect for larger drum heads! Use the spine as a center line for the top and bottom heads. Visualize how big of a circle you will need then add a bit more for waste. Whats important is to keep the thickness as close as possible. Remember when lacing the drum to only pull the rawhide lacing tight enough for the heads to pull very slightly! Too tight and you will have a high 'pingy' sounding drum instead of one that is deep with rich tones. Keep a bowl of water handy and rub a wet hand on the heads and lace during assembly to keep them from drying to quickly.There is a lot that goes into this..if you want you can Email me. Mitchell

Drum and Hides

This response submitted by Gary Middle Rider on 6/2/06 at 12:52 PM. ( middleriderdrums@hotmail.com ) 72.36.18.12

I have ben making drums for some years now and I do know many ways to get the smell out of hides. Com esee my web-site and contact me for any questions...

www.firstnationdrums.com

POW-WOW DRUMS

This response submitted by Gary Middle Rider on 6/2/06 at 12:54 PM. ( www.firstnationdrums.com ) 72.36.18.12

Get in touch with me if you have any questions!

Return to Tanning Category Menu