Aussie taxidermists with fleshing machines...

Submitted by samantha on 5/22/06 at 6:30 AM. ( animalart@optusnet.com.au ) 220.238.174.122

Where do you get your blades ground?
Here in Aus or send to US?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Sam, I fear you're going to need to send them here

This response submitted by George on 5/22/06 at 8:47 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.117.7

The blades are ground on a special machine that curls the edge over after they're sharpened. Unless you have some machinist there who can pull that off, it might be easier to send them here.

When mine dulls, I extend the life by using a carborundum stone to it. I've used blades until the curl is actually worn completely away. I grind the stones until theres a sharp edge and then I get up under the edge to sharpen it. Wear heavy gloves when you do this as one slip will mean a very messy cut.

looks that way

This response submitted by samantha on 5/22/06 at 6:49 PM. ( ) 58.104.28.164

Thankgod for the spare blade. lol.

Unfortunately Sam

This response submitted by Gary -Australia on 6/2/06 at 7:43 PM. ( ) 218.214.25.75

Either by the time you mail and pay for regrinding and freight to the USA, or have someone who doesnt know what they are doing do a half arse job of regrinding the blade here in Australia, it is just as economical to import two new blades fresh from the States.
Otherwise , get one of the tanners here to tan and shave your capes, its quick, economical and the results are equal to anywhere in the world.

Return to Tanning Category Menu