question on shelf life of salt dried hide

Submitted by DJ on 5/26/06 at 1:37 AM. ( ) 4.252.231.97

I had a friend send me some salt dried lynx to tan for him. I rehydrated two of them in Bruce Rittels solution and watched them close. they were fully rehydrated in less than one hour. From there I rinsed them and placed them in the pickle (safety acid ph under 2). I noticed that on has a small slippage spot by the eye (not slipping now and suspect it was slipped prior to me handling it) and the other is like wet tissue paper. Is the hide delicate because of the length of time salted. I have tanned many things and never ran into this problem before (except with old dry tanned hides)...of course most things I tan are only dried a couple months max. Thanks for your time

Return to Tanning Category Menu

What about in the freezer?

This response submitted by JP's on 5/26/06 at 4:40 AM. ( ) 152.108.212.212

I would like to add to your question. How long can you keep 1)green hide(frozen strait after skinned)in the freezer and 2) a tanned hide in the freezer?

Salt Dried

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 5/26/06 at 6:26 AM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 71.161.252.75

That can be a tough one. The longest that I have done a salt dried hide was two years and didn't have a problem. It was stored in a dry area. Then I tanned some hides for a friend that was over 5 years old and out of 11 hides that he sent me only 8 were good. He stored them in his basement that would get damp many times and I was lucky to save the 8.

As for JP if you have a green hide and it's in the freezer to date over 6 years and still tanned nice. It should be kepth in a air tight bag. You'll get freezer burn but this is where Stop-Rot comes in and really does it's job. To find more just vist here www.hidetanning.net/
Next a tanned hide will stay indefinite in the freezer.

hey jp thanks for hijacking the question

This response submitted by DJ on 5/26/06 at 10:35 AM. ( ) 4.224.237.65

Thanks JP.

Dried salted hides-

This response submitted by oldshaver on 5/26/06 at 6:37 PM. ( ) 68.214.235.14

Are ok for a year or so, but after that, they become very brittle in crititcle areas. Nose, ears, etc. There are alot of older skins, that have been tanned successfully, but many problems can result. If I was going to buy a dry salted hide from someone, it would have to be less than a year old. Hides will, what I call dry rot, after a period of time, forming weak spots in the skin.

thanks.

This response submitted by Dj on 5/27/06 at 12:10 AM. ( ) 4.224.255.129

thats what I thought. Thank you for the time taken to answer the thread oldshaver and Frank.

Return to Tanning Category Menu