Re hydrating problem

Submitted by Jamie Rice on 5/28/06 at 9:37 PM. ( Rice194@yahoo.com ) 64.136.27.229

I have a cape that I skinned out only a few hours after it was killed, I then froze it, then thawed, then turned and and rough fleshed it. I then salted it and let it dry rock hard. After 2 weeks I re hydrated in a mix of ultra soft and blood eater. Here is the formula I used 1/2oz ultra soft,1/2oz blood eater to every gallon of water. I left in solution for 12 hrs and it was 90 percent re hydrated but when I checked the cape I noticed it was starting to slip. So I went ahead and put in the saftee acid pickle even though it wasn't completely re hydrated. My Question is what did I do wrong, and will the pickle save it?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

You left it in the rehydration about 11 hours too long

This response submitted by George on 5/28/06 at 11:38 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.201

A rehydration doesn't take place in a submersion, but rather in the sweating. YOu also need to get away from all those exotic things in your soak. All you need is warm (NOT HOT) water with a hand full of salt and maybe a surfactant or sorts. The Ultra Soft does that, but the blood out contains alkali which is the product used to make hair off tanning. Stop worrying about blood in the hair. It will wash out any time. Leave it in the solution no more than one or two hours at the MOST. Hang it up till it stops dripping and then put it in a plastic bag and refrigerate it overnight. THAT'S what rehydration is all about.

Best rehydration answer I have seen in a while here

This response submitted by David Patton on 5/28/06 at 11:41 PM. ( ) 12.76.210.162

Good one for the record folks when the search button for rehydration is used.

Disagree

This response submitted by Frank E Kotula on 5/29/06 at 6:27 AM. ( basswtrout@msn.com ) 72.70.203.242

This was a raw hide and not a tanned hide. I have to leave hides in my bath for 24 hours before their totally rehydrated but I don't have slippage.
Now back to your problems. Personally you made the mistake of skinning it and then freezing it. For me that's always a bad idea for bacteria is what causes slippage. Now I don't know what your working on but next time if you have to freeze due to time you need to lay the skin out flat and let it cool down and begin to freeze, from there it will be folded and then placed into a bag to freeze. By rolling it up the skin on the inside took a much longer time to freeze, during this time bacteria does grow and will cause slippage.

Now I don't use blood out at all in any of my baths. All you need is the Ultra-Soft and water. If your hide is slipping in the bath then at some time pior to you placing it in there it already got bacteria growth and started to cause slippage.

The pickle will kill the bacteria but the damage is done and what will slip will slip. There is no real answer to this but go ahead and finish it and see what becomes of this. It's a learning process that we all go through.

Frank, that's what I was trying to convey

This response submitted by George on 5/29/06 at 8:49 AM. ( ) 152.163.101.7

The Blood Eater had to spike the pH to dangerous levels during that 12 hours. And I still wouldn't leave my hide in it that long. The salt water and the cool refrigerator will work for you.

And this is ANOTHER prime reason I don't use nor believe in salt drying a hide rock hard. It's just a dumb practice we've carried on from the Mountain Man of the 1800's. Once the salt has stopped making a hide drip water, allowing the hide to harden is totally unnecessary for home tanning. Glen Conley posted a great link to a chemist who stated all the reasons why a couple years back. And I know, it's MY OPINION and I know what opinions are worth.

Return to Tanning Category Menu