Hair Slippage/McKenzie Tan

Submitted by Jerry on 5/28/06 at 10:39 PM. ( ) 4.153.255.201

I just got done tanning a cape a couple hours ago (with McKenzie Tan) and if I pull on the hair on the back a few come out. I know this isnt slippage but the last cape I tanned done the same thing, was loose on the back all the way to the ear butts, and when I was sewing up the incision I pulled out a spot the size of a half dollar on the right ear. I then checked the rest of the cape and found all the hair was loose on the back and some spots were slipping bad , I sprayed it down with Stop Slip and put a fan it. Its been drying for about 4 days and the hair has tightened up somewhat. I have only tanned about 5 capes and dont own a fleshing machine so I cant get the skin real thin but I did use a hand held grinder to shave all the plump and thin the skin somewhat. What is causing this loseness/slippage, should I switch tanning chemicals, to one that you soak the hide in so it penetrates the skin on both sides. The hair is only loose on the back up to the ears and not any where else. Could it be that the hide and hair is still real wet and hasnt locked the hair yet, should I let it dry out completely then freeze, then rehydrate when I get ready to mount it up.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

go figure

This response submitted by Mr.T on 5/28/06 at 11:31 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.187

If you spray paint on a bench, put the cap on the spray can, set on the bench, you will get fresh paint on your cloths. If you have a wet cape, every hair will come out of it if you pull on it, go figure. If a cape was cared for properly right from the start, and you still get slip spots, they may be chemical burns from the pickle. The backside of the head and ears is very thin skin areas were these spots would show up at. I found this with allot of tanning methods, it drove me nuts, until I used the McKenzie tan. Because the cape was not placed into a static tan, and the spots showed up anyway, it must be from the pickle. Maybe the acid was to hot, or the PH rose over the three days after I checked it as normal. That is my opinion anyway.

pH

This response submitted by Jerry on 5/29/06 at 2:01 AM. ( ) 4.152.246.208

I checked the pH twice every day. The first was took by someone who was camping out for week. The skin was off the deer and in a sac for about4 to 5 days. He said he rubbed some D/P on there but he should have salt dried it. The one I did tonight, I killed in South Dakota on a hunting trip and was left on the deer for 2 days (soon as I could get back to my house) it isnt fully slipping and may not but the other one sure did. I neutralized it for 30min with 7 or 8 gallons of water, I couldnt remember how many gallons I used so I put 10 tbsp of baking soda just in case. I've been wondering if this made the neutralizing solution too strong and it weakened the epidermis.

A couple of things

This response submitted by Bill @ Hog Heaven on 5/29/06 at 6:37 AM. ( ) 24.59.215.89

Sounds like your neutralizing is too high . Try 1 Tbl. baking soda per Gal. for 20 min. SALT DRY all your capes. Bruce Rittel has preached this for years. Way back when,I had problems with slippage too. Salt dry, be religous about PH control, dont over neutralize, You should NEVER have a cape slip.

A couple of other things as well

This response submitted by George on 5/29/06 at 8:43 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.203

I don't know what that "in a sac for 4 or 5 days" means but it ain't good regardless. Neither is that "on the deer for 2 days". Both of these are open invitations to spoilage and is ALWAYS the prime culprit in any slippage. You need to spend more time on proper field care as well as on the pH of the solutions you use.

George

This response submitted by Jerry on 5/29/06 at 9:37 AM. ( ) 4.154.51.12

The man said he kept the cape in a plastic bag for 4 to 5 days. I always cape my deer out within 4 hours of killing them, the only reason I didnt cape that one out sooner was because I killed it we stayed and hunted the rest of the day then we drove the 19 hours back home and I caped it out the next day.

more info

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 5/29/06 at 11:37 PM. ( ) 67.138.14.236

I cant say this enough...tan doesnt slip capes. As for three days in a bag, thats sorta obvious, its a no-brainer. As for your deer, unskinned for a couple days, thats not always a bad thing, as no air gets to the flesh side. An unskinned deer in cool weather is no big deal, one in hot weather, again, a no-brainer. If you dont have a flesher, I guess I would expect the back of the neck to be suspect, as thats a heavy skin thickness area to begin with. Try shaving by hand to get that area thinner so the pickle can do its work. Salt, pickle, then shave real well and put back into the pickle. Also, do what these guys suggested on neutralizing, as well as draining that wet cape before mounting.

i know i sound like george always preaching...

This response submitted by terryr on 5/30/06 at 12:42 AM. ( ) 12.207.33.102

but if you would try krowtann you wouldnt have so many steps where things could gfo wrong over and over again - DUH!

Jerry try

This response submitted by paule on 5/30/06 at 4:49 PM. ( amfpaul@bellsouth.net ) 65.6.123.106

stop-rot
next time
i use a whole lot less tums these days thanks to it

Every time.

This response submitted by Steve Rotramel on 5/31/06 at 10:16 AM. ( rotramel@midwest.net ) 4.159.180.187

Every single time. I've talked to many many people who have put DP on a hide and subsequently tanned. They slip.

Hair Slippage on Buffalo Hide

This response submitted by Virginia on 6/4/06 at 11:04 AM. ( seams4u2003@yahoo.com ) 12.175.230.36

I kept my buffalo hide in the shed all winter, salted of course. It froze from November til May. Finally got it laid out and scraped and scudded, had to soak it in water for a couple days to soften. I believe that is why the hair on the upper back is slipping. Will this stop? or do I need to put something else on the hide? It is hanging up right now, nearly dry. I was planning to put it in the alum solution to tan it, but now I'm afraid if I do the hair will slip more. I've never had this problem with deer or antelope hides. Suggestions please?! Thanks so much. I'll use it as a blanket for rendezvous so I'm not worried about a little slippage, but would like to know whether I should use a dry tan or go ahead and soak it.

Return to Tanning Category Menu