Trouble relaxing

Submitted by Roger on 5/29/06 at 10:12 AM. ( stark90@bex.net ) 72.240.180.2

Hello brain trust:

I have a chance to obtain an impala that is tanned and dried rock hard. The sales person says some of the time his customers have trouble relaxing the cape.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

That said...try a Commercial Relaxer!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 5/30/06 at 12:33 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.36

From what you siad - you need to use a Commercial Relaxer to rehydrate! Either our US-609 (Ultra-Soft) or someone else's - but considering what you want to do (and it's African) - I would think that 8-10 hours in an Ultra=Soft solution should relax and soften the skin. It may take longer - but that's highly unusual.

I normally relax skins by putting them in an Ultra-Soft solution at 5 PM then removing them at 9-10 Am the next morning, rinsing, and they are ready to pickle - and fully rehydrated!

I reread - and its tanned!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 5/30/06 at 8:22 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.206

I reread your post - and its not a raw, dried skin - but tanned! In that case - disregard my post on relaxing them. Instead simply relax them the safe way!

Mix the following solution. 1 Gl. of Water and 4 Ozs. of Salt to every 1 Gl. used. Soak the tanned skin in it for 30 minutes, remove, place it in a plastic bag, tie it off, and refrigerate it overnight. Ordinarily it should be relaxed and ready to prep and mount.

THANK YOU

This response submitted by Roger on 5/30/06 at 8:27 AM. ( ) 72.240.180.2

Bruce:
Thanks for your expertise

Return to Tanning Category Menu