Automatic Tanning

Submitted by Steve on 7/3/06 at 12:49 PM. ( rotramel@midwest.net ) 4.252.198.122

Tanning under pressure gives a lot of advantages to the taxidermist. Because of the speed of penetration, the salting and or pickling steps can be safely eliminated. Skins that are near to slipping and would otherwise not be salvageable can be tanned and saved. Any tanning chemical system may be used with minor variations and a specimen can be safely skinned, thoroughly tanned, and mounted the same day.

The automatic tanner from Dan Rineharts is the best choice when picking a machine. I said in another post that I had seen the other machines.

Ron Wegner's machine has several design flaws that present very real safety hazards.

1. The stand is too narrow from front to back. In fact, the tank diameter is larger than the stand. This presents a tip-over hazard. We have testimony from an individual who owns one that it "tips over all the time." The machine could injure someone simply by falling on them, or it could hit the ground on the manifold causing breakage and possibly a pressure driven missile.

2. The manway is cut into the wrap after it's rolled. The cuts extend past the 90 degree corners of the manway. This is an extremely unsafe situation. Hoop strength is compromised. The pressure concentrates on those corners and presents a serious rip hazard. The manway MUST be cut before rolling, with continuous arc corners in order to be safe. Obviously, the two problems together make the machine even more unsafe, as the machine could fall and impact on one of those 90 degree cuts, making a rip more likely.

3. The frame has a crosspiece support directly under the tank that blocks the user from putting a catch basin under the machine for easy unloading. This means the machine is prone to tip over when you slide your bucket under it, or tip toward you when you unload out of the top.

The Van Dykes machine has the same cross piece that makes the machine more difficult to use. It also has a manway that bolts on from the outside. This makes it prone to leakage, makes it extremely unbalanced which contributes to early motor failure, and most importantly, makes it possible to remove the lid while pressurized.

While it may be difficult to envision the lid flying off under pressure, it could happen. More likely would be getting sprayed by the contents under pressure the first time you forget to de-pressurize before you attempt to remove the lid.

The Automatic Tanner was designed by factory engineers. We spent a lot of time trying to imagine every possible accident scenario. We addressed tensile strength, hoop strength, metal fatigue and stretching, and corrosion. Since a lot of folks don't stay within the directed operational limits (they tend to over-pressurize), we designed the machine to exceed operational specs by ten times, with three redundant safety features.

The manway system is simple, effective, and very safe. If a single pound of pressure remains in the machine, it is impossible to move the lid.

The tank is made of 12 gauge steel, and the lid is 10 gauge. To compare, a compressor tank is usually 16 gauge, and a walk around air tank may be 18.

Over the 10 years of existence, the machine has been tested to the limits and we are proud of our record.

The epoxy powdercoated machine is economical, safe, and will last for years. The stainless machine costs less than any other stainless machine, and change out tanks (in mild or stainless steel) are available for anyone who wants to upgrade without buying a whole new machine.

To sum it up, you wouldn't buy a ladder that had been cobbled together in somebody's garage.

The Automatic Tanner is a very safe machine, easy and effective to use. Factory support is unrivaled. Financing options are available.

When you decide to upgrade to pressure tanning, call Dan Rinehart at 800-542-9489. Or if you have questions about the machine or tanning in general, call me at 618-658-9209, or better yet, post your question on the forum so everyone can get the benefit.

Return to Tanning Category Menu

How much?

This response submitted by Jessica on 7/3/06 at 4:13 PM. ( ) 207.231.119.84

What does one of these machines cost?

McKenzie Tan

This response submitted by Whitey Fisk on 7/3/06 at 5:47 PM. ( ) 4.153.247.43

Just save your self alot of money and get some McKenzie tan and Saftee Acid. These machines just tan the hide faster for 600$ just take that money and save it and get a rotary knife.

Interesting point Whitey

This response submitted by Steve on 7/3/06 at 5:56 PM. ( ) 4.252.198.122

But why buy a rotary knife when all it does is shave the skin faster? You could save a lot by using a drawknife, or a $2 paring knife.

Wegner's School of Taxidermy

This response submitted by Ron Wegner on 7/3/06 at 9:54 PM. ( wiggy@ticon.net ) 216.87.144.44

Stainless steel tanning machines for sale 30 gallon stainless tank.
Stand is completely stainless steel. I get $2000.00 for them.I have sold several of these tanning machines. If you want references from any of my students that i have sold tanning machine to I will get them for you. I take great pride in what I do. I don't have to be dishonest. I am running a school that I'm proud of. Wegner's School Of Taxidermy
Ron Wegner
Milton Wis.
608-868-4022

Steve

This response submitted by Whitey Fisk on 7/4/06 at 12:33 AM. ( ) 4.154.55.29

A rotary knife fleshes the skin better and with out cutting as many holes. Dont piss down my back and tell me its Mello Yello.

RON WEGNERS S.S. PRESSURE TANNERS

This response submitted by R.N. on 7/4/06 at 9:07 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.204

RESPONSE TO STEVE REGARDING RON W. S.S. TANNERS. RON'S TANKS ARE 12 GA. S.S. WITH GASKETED 12 GA. COVER THAT FITS INSIDE THE DRUM AND WHEN PRESSURIZED FORCES THE COVER AGAINST ID OF DRUM CREATING AN AIR TIGHT SEAL. THESE BARRELS HAVE BEEN TESTED TO 120 LBS. PSI AND ARE EQUIPPED WITH 100 LB. SAFETY RELIEF VALVE. AS FAR AS DESIGN ENGINEERING ANDYBODY WHO WANTS CAN CONTACT NORM WHO HAS BEEN DESIGNING TANKS FOR DAIRY-FOOD AND PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRIES FOR OVER 20 YRS. (NDNORM@EXCITE.COM) ONE OF THE FIRST IMPROVEMENTS MADE TO THESE TANNERS WAS REMOVING THE FRONT CROSS TIE TO ACCOMODATE A CATCH PAN AND AS FAR AS BEING TIPPY, THE ONLY INCIDENT I RECALL WAS THE LOCAL TAXIDERMIST WHO HAD HIS UP AGAINST THE WALL WITH THE CASTERS IN BRAKE POSITION AND LEFT THE AIR HOSE CONNECTED AND TURNED IT ON. YES, IT TIPPED, BUT THE ONLY DAMAGE WAS SOME BENT PLUMBING.

REGARDS,
ROB N.

my oppion

This response submitted by Don on 7/4/06 at 9:56 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.204

I have not tried Ron's machine. But I have worked with both Rineharts and Van Dykes. And I would rate Rineharts last on the list of all three. Van Dykes waited till the original patted on the machine Vandike is selling ran out before they started marketing their machine and reworked all the faults of the other machine. For the price and all the added features of the Van Dykes machine, This is the one I own, From what I have heard Ron's machine would come next, from what I have experienced Van Dykes would be last on my list

Hey Whitey

This response submitted by Steve on 7/4/06 at 1:10 PM. ( ) 4.252.193.181

I can't piss and smile at the same time, believe me I was smiling. No harm meant.

About the holes, you've never seen me work a fleshing machine. I keep band-aids in business.

And we feel the same about Mello Yello.

Same here

This response submitted by Whitey Fisk on 7/4/06 at 11:44 PM. ( ) 4.153.250.6

I'll never forget the first capes I ever fleshed on a rotoary knife, it would have been easier to just cut a hole from the bottom lip all the way to the brisket. Man I screwed up on that one.

Return to Tanning Category Menu