Smelly animals

Submitted by gary on 7/9/06 at 10:21 PM. ( gary870@hotmail.com ) 68.168.121.92

i attended the american institute of taxidermy and the small mammal and deer i did in class still smell 4 months later. is it because of the rub on tanning cream or because they werent washed good enough? thanks

Return to Tanning Category Menu

AIT

This response submitted by Bill on 7/9/06 at 11:20 PM. ( whansen6359@charter.net ) 24.213.5.250

I attended AIT 2 years ago and never had any problems with odors on any of the mounts I did in class. The Rinehart tanning cream is not the problem; perhaps they were not washed or shaved properly? It is also possible that they were bad to begin with, although I don't think Dennis would have let you mount a bad cape or skin. Call him and ask him what he thinks might be the cause; I've done that several times and he has always been truthful with me. I've also learned in the 2 years since that his course is VERY BASIC; you need to be open minded and willing to try things differently than what he taught. On some things his way works extremely well, but on other things I've found much better ways of doing it. If you are serious about taxidermy, you will constantly look for more efficient and better methods to improve your work. Good luck.

Return to Tanning Category Menu