A few weeks ago I made up a pickel and put a cape thru it, now 3 weeks later after going back to look at the pickel I noticed there is mold oin the top, almost like a floating lily pad. When I checked the PH it came up as 1.5, how is it possible for a mold like scum to grow in a pickel when the PH is low?
Return to Tanning Category Menu
It happened to me, too.
I had great, strong pickles of correct pH with mold on top. Little circle green colonies. No amount of Bacteriacide or any other treatment stopped them.
I do not know how it happened as I was only adding fresh ingredients and fresh skins.
I eventually resorted to raising the pH for a day without any pelts in the vats, putting anti-fungal medication "Fish Fungus by Thomas Labs" for fish in to the pickles (at a dollar a pill, needed 5 pills per vat, it wasn't cheap) and that worked. Fungi all died.
This happened to me using oxalic acid and formic acid.
The fungi CAN ruin your pelts in the pickle. The hyphae attack the skin structure. So don't trust a pickle to keep the pelts "free from germs".
Mold is airborne and actually rests above the surface. That's why I always encourage users to stir their pickle at least once every day to simply break the water's surface tension and break up any mold beginning to grow there. Even though the PH is right - it can happen!
Is that all that needs to be done (stiring) to protect the pickel from mold?
Yes - stir the pickle! It is particularly true when you have a high humidity level. Mold thrives in heat and humidity - stirring the pickle once a day will eliminate the problem.
If you keep it stirred, it will not grow mold.
If the skisn get mold on them, it cdan also cause slippage.