Wildlife Gallery problems...

Submitted by mark on 7/11/06 at 7:41 PM. ( Mitrooper27@yahoo.com ) 69.216.104.191

After all the rave reviews about the Wildlife Gallery I broke down and deceided to give them a try even though I have been shaving and tanning my own capes for some time with no problems. I sent them 3 hides, one whitetail and two sheep capes. My bill came to almost $200.00 They charged me $80.00 alone for a small 4 horn cape. The cape is just as dirty as when I sent it out, same goes for the spanish cape. I figured for that kind of money they could have cleaned them up a bit. And lastly the whitetail, there is a shaving hole the size of a dime on the muzzle of a short haired deer. Im sorry but that is not acceptable to me. I have never put a hole like that in a cape even when I was just learning. Is this the norm from tanneries? Now Im worried because I just sent them two bear hides. I will be taking this up with them tommorrow and I will let you know the result. Take this for what its worth, I know alot of you swear by these guys but I think I will stick to doing my own tanning again. Mark www.natures-reflection.com

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Just got back an Eland

This response submitted by * on 7/11/06 at 7:53 PM. ( ) 69.179.115.97

With half lower mouth and corners of mouth gone, I don't mean sliced, I mean missing, I mean GONE. Payed 225.00 for tanning it and Today had to buy a replacement for 300. Doesn't leave any profit in that one
Might break even on this mount.
Quality is going down in my "opinion" on there african capes and lifesize, as for north american last shipments on grizzly and black bears were nice tho' Mark you should be okay.
getting to large to do the same quality work, happen to a lot of good tanners have seen it many times in my 35 years.
Sent an email and pics to them still waiting to hear if they respond?

Nate

This response submitted by fatboy on 7/11/06 at 7:55 PM. ( ) 68.221.24.85

Is this where oldshaver should jump in and advertise? No, he wont stoop that low.

I just cant help it

This response submitted by oldshaver on 7/11/06 at 8:14 PM. ( ) 68.221.24.85

Had the name too many years to loose it. Yes, I'm right, I aint going to stoop that LOW! Even though Im wet behind the ears, I do understand that there are two sides to every story, and wont be foolish enough to make a comment on an issue, that I couldnt possibablly have FULL knowledge of.

Mark

This response submitted by Glenn on 7/11/06 at 8:19 PM. ( gmtaxidermy@aol.com ) 152.163.100.65

No that is not the norm. for tanneries. I have been using Carolina Fur dressing for 22 years, and have never have had shaver hole's or any other problem's that you are talking about, I would strongly recomend you try them.! Or go back to doing your own.

Wait it gets better

This response submitted by mark on 7/11/06 at 8:22 PM. ( ) 69.216.104.191

I was so pissed about the hole on the muzzle I missed the fact that they cut off the front half of the upper lip. Anyone need a cheap whitetail cape...argh!

my expreience

This response submitted by Kevin H on 7/11/06 at 9:08 PM. ( hesstaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 205.238.247.107

Ive been using the wilslife gallery for 2 years now. I havent had any bad things like what you guys say. I had some shaving hole in 1 or 2 bears but that was no big deal I dont think. Maybe Ive just been lucky.

More

This response submitted by Doug on 7/11/06 at 9:10 PM. ( ) 216.109.204.225

A very close friend and colleague just received his last shipment of hides from the W.G. The shaving was VERY uneven...very thick in places and so thin in others that the hair was falling out and would not hold a stitch without tearing. This was on moose, bear, coyote, and beaver. The last time(last year) I used the W.G. the biggest and best cape I sent them had no less than SEVEN shaving holes IN THE HEAD, including one the size of a quarter in the front of the chin. As I see it, most tanneries do a good tan. It's the shaving that separates the great job from the lousy one.

Hey oldshaver "OPINION"

This response submitted by * on 7/11/06 at 9:19 PM. ( ) 69.179.115.97

Wildlife Gallery... with my safaris have been this senerio, I wish someone could explain it to me, My flat hides ,backskins come back "perfect" "beautiful" with NO DERMIS LOSS .and few holes..BUT the shoulder capes come back 10 to 20% dermis loss and a fair number of repairs needed.
Shoulders eland and kudu are the worse, yes it's expected BUT? when the backskin from the same animal, same safari same salt same dip pack comes back perfect?

Glad you are keeping the old name

This response submitted by David Patton on 7/11/06 at 9:25 PM. ( ) 12.76.239.56

Because "fatboy" would have been too obvious. LOL

No problems with WG

This response submitted by David on 7/11/06 at 10:56 PM. ( dcpyles@hotmail.com ) 69.43.8.18

I have used them for 3 years now with no problems. They did 80 wt capes this past season and they all were great. I did have a serious problem with a guy out of Virginia tho,, Old Dominion ( be very wary there).

I'll agree with the deer

This response submitted by * on 7/11/06 at 11:11 PM. ( ) 207.118.250.12

they do great ones.

For what it's worth

This response submitted by Dean on 7/12/06 at 9:05 AM. ( ) 70.56.163.105

They seem like greak guys and I know a lot of taxidermists that use them. Prices are high but the tanning that came back worked great and rehydrates fast and excellent strech. BUT , My problem when I tried them was this. I had a batch of my capes and skins prepped salted and ready for tanning last year. Randomly I picked and boxed half for Wildlife Gallery to tan. The other half went to another tannery I normally use. Results were this. 11 of the 19 wt capes sent to Wild life Gallery slipped and couldn't be used. Seven of the eleven bad ones they tanned anyway that I paid for. They sent them with the only 8 good capes left. Two of 4 wild boar capes that slipped and one of two axis deer hides slipped. Not a good ratio. The 23 other wt capes and 4 wt back hides and a 2 bear went to the other tannery I use and every thing came back perfect, not a hair lost. Nothing against them personally. Nates a good guy. Maybe it is an isolated case. It's just one I just can't afford, and take a chance at taking a hit like that again. In twenty two years in taxidermy I lost more capes in one shot than than all the other years combined in the business. I don't recall the last time I had a cape go bad at the tannery. If it is in question it doesn't leave the shop.

My capes were damaged as well

This response submitted by Jerry C on 7/12/06 at 1:45 PM. ( ) 69.169.195.250

I sent 4 capes to WG to "try them out." They came back full of small fleshing holes, and one had flesher cuts on the "hairside" of the face. This including the fact that I had to wait 120 days for them. I also found them to be fleshed unevenly as observed above.

Try K & K

This response submitted by jr on 7/12/06 at 2:37 PM. ( ) 216.93.97.208

i've used K and K for 10 years and never have had any type of problems that i'm hearing about WG. They are the best in my opinion. JR

Two days now

This response submitted by * on 7/12/06 at 5:27 PM. ( ) 207.118.250.12

E-mailed W G about problem with cut up Eland and pictures of cape.
Still no response
?

Called them today

This response submitted by Mark on 7/12/06 at 7:05 PM. ( Mitrooper27@yahoo ) 69.216.104.191

Supposedly going to refund the tanning costs of the ruined cape, however Im still out a cape...

Great Mark

This response submitted by * on 7/12/06 at 7:59 PM. ( ) 207.118.250.12

I've spent over $10,000 with them in the last 5 months and they can't even reply to an email about my Eland.
Guess they won't miss me, and have spent over 30,000.00 in the last two years with them.
Bet you got a response because your a MI Trooper.

Shocked

This response submitted by Mitch on 7/13/06 at 12:24 AM. ( ) 71.33.11.53

I am shocked to see so many compaints about The Wildlife Gallery. I have used them for my bears and coyotes for a couple years. No problem. I was upset with my regular tannery over some issues not involving their tanning but business stuff. Like many of you I had heard great things about Wildlife gallery so sent them 24 dear capes. 14 of them came back with epidermal loss around the eyes and on the nose pad. A week earlier I had sent 33 capes to my regular tannery. when the returned not one had epidermal loss. When I questioned Wildlife Gallery they blamed it on our fleshing and salting. they seemed to have no concern about this problem. I ship around 130 skins a year for tanning and have never had this kind of problem. I sure would caution others before sending capes to them.

* - I haven't gotten an email

This response submitted by Nate Walters on 7/13/06 at 9:14 AM. ( nate@thewildlifegallery.com ) 216.111.204.11

All emails sent to The Wildlife Gallery go through my computer and then I forward them on to the appropriate person. I have not received an email about an eland. I even checked my spam blocker program and there is nothing in there. Please send to nate@thewildlifegallery.com I assure you a problem will not just be ignored or swept under the rug. Thank you.

K & K

This response submitted by Todd on 7/13/06 at 11:30 AM. ( ) 68.21.40.20

They have their problems too! I sent them a bear to do for a rug, there were 2 big spots on the muzzle where all the hair was gone. I called and the first thing they said was "it didn't happen here, must of been on your end" sorry I checked the bear with a fine tooth comb and the only thing wrong was a bullet hole a small slit under the chin and the claws missing on the one foot. I showed someone who has done taxidermy for over 30yrs, without telling anything about the bear except "what does this look like to you" with out question it floated during tanning, but I guess its his opinion.

only my opinion

This response submitted by JR on 7/13/06 at 2:41 PM. ( ) 216.93.96.105

in my opinion until you can take the human element out of anything you will always have some mistakes. We all make them in our shops and fix them and move on. I have used WG, carolina and k&k. I have found that k&k has the fewest amount of errors. I can live with some from time to time, but never has anything been ruined or damaged the way some are describing from the other places. Just like our clients we will never be able to satitsfy everyone all of the time. I am pleased with k&k and will continue to use them. JR

Return to Tanning Category Menu