Carolina Fur dressing has all my hides

Submitted by R.L. Dilworth on 7/12/06 at 12:18 AM. ( ) 68.223.50.243

I got back a batch of deer capes wet tanned all were 99% perfect with the only problems being blown out ears. I will take an ear repair over shaving holes... I like the quality of the wet tan, But can any one give me an Idea of " turn around time" with these folks. I am happy so far but I have been waiting 9 months on my small game hides, fox, otter, bobcats, ect..? So my question is what is normal in the industry as time?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

time

This response submitted by - on 7/12/06 at 1:09 AM. ( ) 216.144.8.89

Carolina time is not the same as real world time. Carolina thinks it's peachy to keep your pelts for a year or more. The rest of the world likes to get skins back to the customer within 3 months.
You'll probably have the pelts back by 2007 but who knows. Maybe 2008.
Think of your waiting period with Carolina like the 'hold messages' you get while you're on the phone : "while you continue to hold, remember your business is important to us..."

Best Tannery

This response submitted by John Griffith on 7/12/06 at 7:14 AM. ( jgriff@highland.net ) 207.144.89.95

I have had nothing but the best results from Carolina Tannery. I have been doing business with them for nearly 20 years and basically I have had nothing but good experiences with them. Rick Morgan the owner tries his best to deliver a top notch tan on every piece he receives. Basically, if you request 60 day service on your invoice he will honor that. I just got back some African skins and they were absolutely perfect. Now if you don't request that 60 day service I believe that it may be a couple more months before you get it back. It's just a fact that he is the Best Tannery out there and he just has a lot of work to do.

I do know for a fact that he is not advertising for the next two years because he has such a hugh amount of work to deliver. But, he is trying his best to honor that 60 day request. I have requested this 60 day service about 8-10 times in the past year and he has made good on every delivery I sent to him. About the only problem you might have on his work is a blown out ear occasionally. Believe me I'll take that any time. I have never had a bad experience with Carolina Tannery and in my opinion his wet tan product is the best on the market. It's worth waiting for; especially since it won't be no more than probably 6 months on his non requested 60 day service. Try them and I believe you will like there service. These are may opinions and experiences with Rick Morgan of Carolina Tannery.

John Griffith
www.griffithtaxidermy.com

To the BALLLESS ANUS

This response submitted by oldshaver on 7/12/06 at 8:47 PM. ( ) 68.221.24.85

That didnt have the guts to leave a name. I can understand a new tannery picking up skins in person, and delivering them for free, because they are trying to build a customer base. But to be in business for 8-10 years, and still have to be driving a truck and a 40 foot trailer, 3 or 4 states away, to beg for work, is a total joke! Stay on the porch, cause that where you belong. Every pro-tanner lives in a glass house, and should not through stones! I have seen people come on here and talk about they could not afford to wait 6 months, and then go and ask one of the Ladies in the office to pull their file, and see they never waited more than a two and a half months. They were price shopping, and found someone giving their services away. I have also seen customers drop off skins, and say they didnt care when they got them back, and come on here and include their prep-service time in their figure of turn-around. Their skins were started late, because they still owed the prep service, and were having to make installments. Im not slamming anybody, but to the all the Taxidermist that complain about turnaround time. You take in 75 deer in 2004, and then take in 150 deer in 2005, are you going to be able to keep up? Hell no. All you can prepare for is the next season, and hope you dont piss too many people off. Tannerys work the same way. Try to keep 25 or so experienced employees employed year round, which are all trying to make a living also, and tell me you still feel the same. Lets all just work 5 or 6 months a year, and take off the rest. You know what your left with? The good employees, will move on, and your stuck with 25 people that dont give a crap, and only are there for their temporary dollar, before they move on, for that 50cent raise in pay. Yall keep em straight up in the air!

everybody get off the soap box

This response submitted by phil on 7/12/06 at 11:21 PM. ( ) 69.218.177.158

three responses,no answers just the same old crap.snakeoil salesman hawking their wares.take a bow boys!

Alright Phil-off the soapbox

This response submitted by oldshaver on 7/13/06 at 7:26 PM. ( ) 68.221.117.87

Two weeks to 6 or 7 seven months. Ill let you explain why there is such a large gap here. An explanation from me, would be pointless. Please enlighten us. Really Phil, Im not joking, what would be your opinion here?

relax oldshaver

This response submitted by phil on 7/13/06 at 11:46 PM. ( ) 68.78.123.80

that response was not only for you.I do tanning mostly as a hobby.Im an advid hunter who has great taxidermist do my mounts.I now do alot of his large work such as moose,buffalo,musk ox grizzly etc.I`ve been a observer on this site for about two years trying to glean info from the pros.I don`t understand the underlying theme of some of the questions or their answers.It appears somebody asks what appears to be a legit question (maybe he was busting balls) and then everybody comes unglued.It appears lately that if an argument does not break out then most are told to use the "orange button"! Your experience is needed on this site for those of us that are still interested in perfecting our hobbies or profesion.My opinion is not of any value here on this subject as I don`t profess to be an expert by any means.But my opinion on the quality of the info avaible on this site has definitly gone down hill.I apologize if I offended anyone.

Return to Tanning Category Menu