Krowtann and small animals

Submitted by Rob on 7/17/06 at 1:24 PM. ( ) 65.25.215.81

I've got 2 newborn goats in Krowtann right now. Directions say to leave in tan for 3-4 days. Seems like that's a pretty long time for thin skinned newborns like this so I was planning on pulling them sooner. I don't normally do little guys like this. Any thoughts? Also, when neutralizing, the directions call for different amounts of sodium bicarbonate depending on the animal - smaller animals requiring less. Any thoughts on how much I should be using for 3 pound goats? Tried calling WASCO but the only person that knew about it was out of town. Any help appreciated.

Thanks much,
Rob

Return to Tanning Category Menu

Call Ozark Woods

This response submitted by Becky P on 7/17/06 at 4:20 PM. ( ) 64.12.117.14

I tanned a wt fawn with it. I followed the direcrions for a fox. No problems. BP

Rob

This response submitted by Ozark Woods on 7/17/06 at 4:34 PM. ( ozarkwoods@alltel.net ) 67.141.89.153

The 3-4 days is the min. amount fo time in general for hides to stay in the tann, it shouldnt hurt anything to stay in longer. As for the amounts on neutralizeing your reading to much into it. the sodium bicarbonate to water ratio is the same 3oz to 1 gall water for all animals you only need enough to submerge the cape and it not be cramper up.

Return to Tanning Category Menu