who?

Submitted by kenny on 7/17/06 at 11:25 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.6

is old shaver?

Return to Tanning Category Menu

The Poster Child for tannery shavers.

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 7/17/06 at 11:28 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.105.113.119

If you don't believe me, ask terryr.

Actually Glen,

This response submitted by oldshaver on 7/18/06 at 7:26 PM. ( ) 68.221.24.143

When I think of myself as a poster child, I think of a slightly overweight, middle aged, legend in his own mind, Tannery employee, with too much time on his hands in the evening. LOL

oldshaver,

This response submitted by Glen on 7/18/06 at 11:55 PM. ( ) 70.104.112.247

I know it was past your bed time when I answered the question. My snickerin' and gigglin' didn't wake you up did it?

While you're here...have you guys done any long term "longevity" tests on your wet tans when kept in a freezer? Maybe one or some of your customers?

No

This response submitted by os on 7/19/06 at 6:12 AM. ( ) 65.15.237.222

We have had some slow payers, that were kept in the freezer over 6 months, then shipped, with no negative feed back.

oldshaver,

This response submitted by Glen on 7/19/06 at 11:55 PM. ( ) 70.104.116.9

what I was fishing for was to see if your guys' wet tan improved with freezing over time. By improvement, I mean maybe less likely to develope "acid rot", or similar symptoms.

You're young, you could be testing some of this stuff.

All I can say-

This response submitted by oldshaver on 7/20/06 at 7:57 PM. ( ) 68.221.24.143

is we use a combination tannage, with a synthetic tan being the final tanning step. Being an employee, I have to be careful not to put my foot in my mouth. Actually, after some inquiry on the subject, orders have been the freezer over a year, then shipped, with no negative feedback from the Taxidermist. A 60 hour work week does not allow me much time for testing. In my opinion, acid rot, even with a quality tan, is more likely to happen when a skin is oiled with a poor quality oil, with poor penetration, and the wrong moisture content in the skin. And, of course, a lack of sufficent neutralization. In addition to lubricating the fibers to help with stretch, the type of oil used offers more enviromental protection, than most would think. This is why I can not see a problem with aluminum sulphate, when all the processes are done correctly.

Return to Tanning Category Menu