PH WHEN TANNING WITH LUTAN

Submitted by CHARLES on 7/27/06 at 3:23 PM. ( crobin80@ford.com ) 136.8.1.100

WHAT MUST THE PH BE WHEN YOU DO TANNING WITH LUTAN F

Return to Tanning Category Menu

3.5 to 4.5 is best.

This response submitted by jrosbor on 7/27/06 at 3:56 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

But if you are doing by hide weight I belive it can be a bit higher.

4.0 PH is best!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 7/28/06 at 1:22 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.206

I sell Lutan F from BASF. The technical people there tell me that for fixation you should maintain a 4.0 PH when using Lutan F.

NEUTRALIZING FOR HOW LONG

This response submitted by CHARLES on 7/28/06 at 1:21 PM. ( crobin80@ford.com ) 136.8.1.100

when you neatralize,how long at ph 7 and is lutan at PH 4,tanning and fixation,but will lutan go into hide,because i heared fixation start at PH 4. thanks for help

Tanning pH?

This response submitted by jrosbor on 7/28/06 at 5:05 PM. ( huntersdream3x@hotmail.com ) 64.73.36.192

My honest question to this is: At what point do you sound the alarm? Most all acid type tans work best with a pH of about 4. At what point do you adjust it? When the pH is at 4.2 do you add acid? Or when it is at 3.8 do you add bicarb or borax? I personaly like to have just a bit of give before I start chasing my tail. My formula for Lutan F(N) has allways been to each damp pound of skin add 1oz F(N) 2qt H2O and 4oz NaCl. The pH is allways 4 on the money. After 16 or so hours of tanning capes the pH is allways 4.5 weather using well, distiled, or city water.
One time, I did use a "vol" mix. I figured 6gal H2O to start with for one cape. Little did I know I only had 4gal of H2O in the bucket. I then added 12oz "F(N)" and 3lbs NaCl My pH was just over 3 and my NaCl was pushing 30%. The salt alone should have been a dead give away to add more water. But I added 2oz of bicarb to raise the pH to around 4 and spent the next 3hrs chasing my tail trying to get the pH around 4.

As far as your neutralizing issue?
I use a standard buffering mix. 1oz bicarb to each gal of water. I belive the ph runs about 7.6 but I never check it. Buffer for 20 minutes and no longer! What you are trying to do is to raise the pH on the surface of the skin without "shocking" the epidermis (hair side) With the "just above neutral" pH of the bicarb this does not happen. It seems that most "acid" tans like the lower pH. On the skin pH often reads 5.5-6.8 and a "center cut" will read 3-3.5. The tanning agent is drawn to the center of the skin first because it's pH is less than 4 and then tans the outer part of the skin as it reaches a pH closer to 4 as the hours pass.

In the next issue we will talk "Paddle Vats" and "Wet Drums" and there effect on pickle and tanning times. Bruce, feel free to join in! LOL! Just kidding!

Hope this helps ya out!

Return to Tanning Category Menu