African Exotics coming-would like advice on best tannery

Submitted by Rich Reinert on 7/30/06 at 1:31 PM. ( richard_reinert@merck.com ) 155.91.45.231

I was fortunate enough to collect some great trophies in South Africa this month and they will be shipped by Highveld Taxidermy in about 6 months. The crate will contain salted dried (dipped) capes and back skins as well as dipped horns/skulls. I will be working up each of these eight trophies, except for a warthog, with my friend who is a taxidermist. I was hoping to get your opinion on what tannery does the very best work on African skins. I also wonder about all the shipping charges once they are cleared in US customs. Do others commonly have there crate sent directly to the tannery where they can pull out what they will work on and send the rest (skulls/horns) to the final destination taxidermist? Thanks Rich

Return to Tanning Category Menu

orange button

This response submitted by - on 7/30/06 at 1:46 PM. ( ) 216.144.8.88

<--- click it and do a search

Wildlife Gallery in MI is a hefty retail tannery that will possibly damage the skins. Some guy lost $30,000 of pelts including an Eland. They are not recommeded. I don't know if that's in the archive yet so I added it.

I

This response submitted by Graftron on 7/30/06 at 1:47 PM. ( ) 69.21.102.135

can highly recommend Carolina Fur Dressing for the tanning and yes you can have the crate shipped directly to them if your taxidermist is using them. Normally you will pay the Taxidermist over there first for the dip and pack, then your trophies will go to the shipper who will notify you. After you pay the shipping company your trophies will be shipped. Since you have a warthog the shipment must be released to a USDA approved establishment. If your taxidermist friend is not an approved facility you can simply have them shipped directly to Carolina Fur. I highly recommend the services of a customs brokerage to recieve your trophies at the point of entry into the U.S. but that is your choice. Good luck.

I

This response submitted by Grafton on 7/30/06 at 1:49 PM. ( ) 69.21.102.135

can highly recommend Carolina Fur Dressing for the tanning and yes you can have the crate shipped directly to them if your taxidermist is using them. Normally you will pay the Taxidermist over there first for the dip and pack, then your trophies will go to the shipper who will notify you. After you pay the shipping company your trophies will be shipped. Since you have a warthog the shipment must be released to a USDA approved establishment. If your taxidermist friend is not an approved facility you can simply have them shipped directly to Carolina Fur. I highly recommend the services of a customs brokerage to recieve your trophies at the point of entry into the U.S. but that is your choice. Good luck.

western skies

This response submitted by alan on 7/30/06 at 6:01 PM. ( ) 204.8.228.223

They have done all my african skins with 0 problems and excellent stretch.
(801)971-4170

USDA

This response submitted by mike d on 7/30/06 at 10:08 PM. ( ) 71.84.167.232

All imports now must go through a USDA approved facility for inspection; only exceptions are tanned skins and "finished" mounts.
Most better tanneries are USDA approved, let them handle the details.

A huge keyboard slam! Very weak -. <--- ?

This response submitted by Owen Eldred on 7/30/06 at 11:54 PM. ( owen@thewildlifegallery.com ) 216.111.204.11

$30,000? I'm glad you have all the facts. So you can make an accurate recommendation. It was an honest question to begin with, that you tried to turn into a? Everyone knows what they say about assumptions.

Owen Eldred
Master Taxidermist
The Wildlife Gallery

Hey -

This response submitted by * on 7/31/06 at 1:39 AM. ( ) 207.118.255.139

Your recall of the post is very inacurate, I have done about $30,000 in tanning with them in the past year or so and they are not my only tanner. I was totally satisfied with the work, delivery time, and the capes and lifesize were mostly all african. I had a eland that was cut badly in the face and there was a disagreement about it. I send them it to evaluate. The cuts, I was told had to be done in Africa of broken off before arriving. I've Been dealing with african capes for more than 30 years and I disagree with there explination. That's everyone's right and disagreements will always occur.They simply stated it was not their problem or fault.
As for Rich Rienhert, They are good tanners, tho' they are loosing me as a client for now. I mostly paid the rush charges on my work and get it in 30 days, that's great also, a few dollars extra at my prices I can afford. A $225.00 tan on an eland cape cost them a client. They are fine to send your work to, I may send some in the future but it will be a while, I'm moving on, lots of good tanner's out there.
I'm not ripping W G they have there way of taking care of clients and there business pratices, that's their right, They "ARE" good tanners I will give them that but that's were my compliments stop.

New Method?

This response submitted by Rich Reinert on 8/1/06 at 12:44 AM. ( richard_reinert@merck.com ) 155.91.28.232

I heard from someone that New Method in CA is not the place to send African skins. I'm not sure why this was stated. Can anyone comment on their quality etc.?

New Method

This response submitted by RJ Simington on 8/2/06 at 12:16 AM. ( animalartsnw@charter.net ) 66.190.240.176

Has been ruining safaries for years.
Everything from large Flesher wheel cuts across the throat on Impalas to Completely shaving the left ear off of a warthog.Several animals cut up in each safari.
Plus all the slipping that they blame on the handling in Africa.
Since I stopped using them & tanning my own African skins, I have eliminated slipping problems. ( I wonder why that is?)

I have sent several things to Wildlife Gallery including Bighorn Sheep, Bears, Girraff & several other species, & never had any complaints when I got the skins back.
They are a little pricey but well worth it for a nice product if you dont want to tan your own.

Return to Tanning Category Menu