Diposing of chemicals

Submitted by Matt on 8/24/99. ( ) 152.163.205.105

Wanting advice on best way to dispose of salt water, citric acid, & other similar taxidermy products. My shop is near my house so I could go directly to septic tank, or I could go directly to lateral lines which would be the simplist way. My concern is if I went directly to my septic tank the salt would build up or kill the nessasary bacteria. And if I go directly to my lateral lines which run in my backyard I'm concerned that the high amount of salt that is used for taxidermy would kill my grass. So if any of you guys have other options or have tried one of the ways I've described w/no ill effects please comment. Pre-Thanks Matt.

Return to Category Menu

Holding Tank

This response submitted by Keith Daniels on 8/25/99. ( arlcape@bright.net ) 205.212.120.254

Matt, since you aren't on a municipal waste treatment line, the holding tank is unfortunately your safest bet. You'll just need to have it pumped out when it's full. If you're just doing a small volume in shop tanning for yourself, you probably aren't dumping enough to worry about and your septic might do just fine.

Salt is a problem!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 8/25/99. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.40.161

Keith had some good advice. Unfortunately, disposing of chemicals, even if they are safe, is a lot like taking Aspirins. One or two Aspirins are good for you - a bottleful can kill you are or at least make you terribly sick. Salt however, remains the biggest problem for the home tanner. And yes, you should not dispose of chemicals into a septic system. You WILL kill your bacteria and ruin its effectiveness. A holding tank would be ideal. For very small amounts some Taxidermists tell me they simply dump it in their driveways, where they will salt in the winter anyway. City sewage is still the best option.

Return to Category Menu