Tan/preservative for Deer Feet mounts

Submitted by Chuck M. on 8/18/99. ( dambigbuck@yahoo.com ) 63.66.78.131

I'm very new to this still, but here goes...

I'm getting ready to take the deer legs out of the freezer to going to do something with them (lamp, gun rack, etc.), however, I'm not sure what kind of preservative to go with. Should I use a complete tan (EZ100 or LutanF), or shall I just use something like Kwik Tan, or the such. If I tan them completely, the mount should last a lifetime, right? How about if I use other methods? What do all of you use? Or is everyone on here beyond doing deer feet gun racks? :)

Chuck M.

Return to Category Menu

Tan Like Everything Else

This response submitted by Keith Daniels on 8/18/99. ( arlcape@bright.net ) 205.212.120.254

Handle them the same way as you do your capes, it's just as important with the feet. The type of tan is totally up to you and what you feel comfortable with. Just because they're only feet, doesn't mean they're less important, though you will here from some that think that way.

Thank you

This response submitted by Chuck M. on 8/18/99. ( dambigbuck@yahoo.com ) 63.66.78.131

Thanks for the input Keith.

I am planning on sending in my capes to you, but I did not want to throw in leg scraps with them. Figured I'd just try to do the legs myself, and of course I was trying to find the easiest (and best) way possible. I think I'll just plan on purchasing one of the EZ100 or Lutan-F tanning kits and try to do the legs myself. After all, I have 4 times as many chances to get it right, huh? :-)

Chuck Martin
(former Buckeye)

Sounds Like a Plan

This response submitted by Keith Daniels on 8/18/99. ( ) 12.31.32.49

I think you're on the right track Chuck. Either of those tans will work fine. Keith

Return to Category Menu