Out of the Pickle???

Submitted by Don on 8/30/99. ( ) 216.229.217.86

How long will a cape keep out of the pickle? If I purchase capes that have been in the pickle bath, how long will they keep while being shipped?

Thanks, Don

Return to Category Menu

Difficult to answer!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 8/30/99. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.42.69

I find this difficult to answer - simply because this scenario has never been asked before! I personally had some Formic Acid pickled opposum and raccoon skins shipped to me once, that arrived in fine shape. They were packaged in plastic - but it was the Fall and temperatures were mild. They were packaged dripping wet and arrived wet, ready to repickle and tan. Not a problem. Actually, I think I could have dried them and kept them that way too - but I didnt, simply because I had a customer waiting. I must admit - I have very little experience with using the pickle as a shipping preservative, and of course, the temperature of the season, may influence how well it stands up.

It can be done

This response submitted by Jim Tucker on 9/3/99. ( bigjims@wilkshire.net ) 206.68.132.250

I have kept pickled skins in the freezer for years with no ill effects. I don't know how long a thawed skin would last. You can keep most skins in the pickle for quite a while as long as you keep a eye on the ph, but beware some red mammals can lose color.

Return to Category Menu