Fur Industry dried skins

Submitted by Damon on 9/9/99. ( GEngel039@aol.com ) 205.188.209.134

I have an otter skin, cased with feet still attached, that was originally stretched and dried for the fur trade. Instead, I obtained it, and would like to mount it.
Is there any special method of rehydrating the skin to pickle and tan? I am going to tan it myself with Knobloch's Para Tan.
Also, since it was stretched, the current measurements don't match the original carcass measurements. Which measurements do I follow for ordering a form? Will it "shrink" back to it's original size?
Thanks to all of you, I am having a blast mounting these animals, and not doing too bad a job, either! Your advice is priceless!!

Return to Category Menu

Original Size

This response submitted by Keith Daniels on 9/9/99. ( arlcape@bright.net ) 12.31.32.57

Damon, if you have carcass measurements use them, if not, wait until it's tanned then take your measurements. an otter on a stretcher will measure way to big. As long as the lower jaw was left on, there's a good chance you'll be able to split the lips and turn the ears after it's soaked up. Re-Hydrate it just like a salted skin, but plan on it taking a little longer to relax.

I Owe You, Keith

This response submitted by Damon on 9/10/99. ( GEngel039@aol.com ) 205.188.209.167

Keith, among other people, I owe you lunch (or at least a beer)!
If we ever meet, it's on me! Both thru this forum, and e mails, you'all have given me so much information and advice. Thanks again!

Preparing it for tan

This response submitted by Mark on 9/10/99. ( knoblochs@worldnet.att.net ) 12.74.76.194

Hi Damon,

Its great to see someone that loves what they do and take great
pride in it as well. To rehydrate for the pickle what you will
want to do is take

4oz salt
1/8oz basacryl NBKU
1/2oz relax R
all to each gallon of water.

once rehydrated place into your pickle, before you place it into
the pickle make sure the skin is clean of any extra membrane.
Pickle then degrease if needed. Adjust your Ph after your
degreasing bath to 3.2. Mix your tan at a ratio of 1oz of tan
to each 1lb drained shaved weight skin, disolve in H2o.(1/3lb salt
Place skin into bath and tan for approx 24 hrs then adjust Ph
to 5.0, Let sit for about 4hrs , Pull out and oil when moister
content reaches about 20%. Good luck contact me if you have any
more questions. Mark

www.knobloch.com
Knoblochs@worldnet.att.net

Return to Category Menu