Ok, getting confused...!!!

Submitted by Tony on 9/13/99. ( tholder85@yahoo.com ) 216.229.221.183

I just read and article in the June/July, I think, issue of Taxidermy Today magazine on tanning a cape and they used Morton's table salt for the salting of the cape and for mixing the pickle solution. I wonder what is going on here because everything I have seen on here says NOT!!! to use table salt, only non-iodized salt. I am sure if you subscribe to the magazine you have seen the article, so tell me why it is working for them and it won't work for everyone else. They are using the liqua-tan method. Just curious.

Tony

Return to Category Menu

Salt is Salt!

This response submitted by Bruce rittel on 9/13/99. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.40.105

You can use either one - Non-Iodized or Iodized but the Non-Iodized is cheaper and the most preferred. They both work. Iodized salt is usually very refined simply for human consumption and the iodine is added to prevent goiter problems in humans. For tanning a Cow "Feed" grade is acceptable and disolves readily.

Salt

This response submitted by George Roof on 9/13/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.189.2

Tony,
You have no idea how good a question that was. I was always told never to use iodized salt because it would accelerate hair slippage. Now Bruce has managed to teach me another lesson.
You are a little confused about salt, however. I use Morton table salt on all my shop work. I get it in 100 pound bags from a bakery and it is NON-IODIZED Table Salt. I like it because it is much finer and I get quicker and better coverage than the tanners salt.
And Bruce, you'd better watch out. When I admit to having been taugth somehthing, you're pushing your luck. Thanx.

Thanks, guys!!

This response submitted by Tony on 9/14/99. ( ) 216.229.218.224

Once again, the forum comes through. Thanks Bruce and George. You are right, Bruce, the
feed grade salt is cheaper. I think I paid @ $2.50 for a 50 lb. sack. I don't know what a
50 lb sack of mortons table salt would cost at the grocery, but I am sure it would be more
than that.

Thanks,
Tony

Return to Category Menu