Is the mini flesher worth the money?

Submitted by Dave on 9/17/99. ( ) 207.230.209.188

I am just getting into whitetail taxidermy and
have seen a lot of ads for the mini-flesher in the
catalogs. Is this tool really a good product and is
it worth the money? Is it really as easy to use as
some make it out to be? I have been fleshing the
capes by hand and it takes forever and is a lot of
work! Any opinions would be appreciated.

Return to Category Menu

Dave, coming from another beginner.....

This response submitted by Tony on 9/17/99. ( tholder85@yahoo.com ) 216.229.223.145

I just bought a mini-flesher and have done two deer with it so far. I have done a raw cape that I used Ben Mear's Spray Tan on and I have used it to thin a pickled cape that I am tanning using Rittel's EZ-100. It is a God-send compared to fleshing with a knife. I still do the delicate fleshing around the nose, lips, etc. with a knife, but as for the rest of the cape, it does a good job. Most people on the forums here will tell you that is does not do the job of a large fleshing machine and they are absolutely correct, but, if you are like me and just starting out, you can't justify or afford to put that kind of money in a large machine. Some people say that you cannot thin a cape with a mini-flesher, but this is not true. You can do it. You have to be very careful using it until you get the hang of it, but once you do it is easy to use.

Is it worth it? It was for me. You will just have to try it and see, but I don't think you will be disappointed with your investment, especially compared to fleshing with a regular knife. I saw one advertised in the For Sale section earlier in the week, you might want to go there and check to see if they still have it. It was priced significantly less than a new one.

Good Luck,
Tony

Dave, coming from another beginner.....

This response submitted by Tony on 9/17/99. ( tholder85@yahoo.com ) 216.229.223.145

I just bought a mini-flesher and have done two deer with it so far. I have done a raw cape that I used Ben Mear's Spray Tan on and I have used it to thin a pickled cape that I am tanning using Rittel's EZ-100. It is a God-send compared to fleshing with a knife. I still do the delicate fleshing around the nose, lips, etc. with a knife, but as for the rest of the cape, it does a good job. Most people on the forums here will tell you that is does not do the job of a large fleshing machine and they are absolutely correct, but, if you are like me and just starting out, you can't justify or afford to put that kind of money in a large machine. Some people say that you cannot thin a cape with a mini-flesher, but this is not true. You can do it. You have to be very careful using it until you get the hang of it, but once you do it is easy to use.

Is it worth it? It was for me. You will just have to try it and see, but I don't think you will be disappointed with your investment, especially compared to fleshing with a regular knife. I saw one advertised in the For Sale section earlier in the week, you might want to go there and check to see if they still have it. It was priced significantly less than a new one.

Good Luck,
Tony

Sorry for the double post!!!!

This response submitted by Tony on 9/17/99. ( ) 216.229.213.2

I don't know what happened. Must be gremlins in the machine!!

Sorry for the double post!!!!

This response submitted by Tony on 9/17/99. ( ) 216.229.213.2

I don't know what happened. Must be gremlins in the machine!!

Thanks for your opinion, Tony

This response submitted by Dave on 9/17/99. ( ) 207.230.209.186

I will check out the used one for sale and probably
give it a try. The hand thing is too much.

Thanks again,
Dave

Mini Flesher for Sale

This response submitted by Kaufman on 9/17/99. ( kaufman@hemlock.k12.mi.us ) 198.110.164.229

We have a mini-flesher we would like to sell...

It's only been used about five times. We are getting rid of it for 2 reasons. #1 Our air compressor isn't large enough. #2 We have a full size Quebec flesher that has eliminated the need for the mini-flesher. Asking $125.00 Anyone interested can call(517)643-7459.

Don't spend the $$$

This response submitted by Jim Tucker on 9/17/99. ( bigjims@wilkshire.net ) 206.68.132.224

I am not a beginner but I once was. I bought a mini flesher and I think it is a waste of time. Home tanning of small mammals can be $$ saved but I think that for capes the best way is to send them to a tannery. If I knew now what I did not know then I would have saved myself many a heartache plus $$$. If you send your capes to a good tannery (Arlington Cape or Golden State are 2 I recomend) the $30 or so it costs to get them done is well worth it. They will be many times better then a home tanned cape and 2000 times better than a mini flesher job. Since you are a beginner take my advice and don't get involved in cape tanning. Do the small mammals if you must but leave the capes up to the pros.

Get it

This response submitted by Dan R on 9/17/99. ( ) 209.149.175.130

I have one and think it does a good job. I personally feel that you should do some of your own capes if for nothing other than getting the experience. If you do a few and dont like the way they turned out then go to a tannery. If I didn;t enjoy it I wouldn't be doing it. A mini is much much better than a knife and a full size flesher is better than a mini. I dont own a full size machine so Im sticking with the mini, for now.

Good tool

This response submitted by Kenneth on 9/18/99. ( bauman@caddoelectric.net ) 206.103.97.227

I own one and used one for years. About five years ago I purchased a big flesher. I like both fleshers. I honestly believe if you are not doing a huge amount of capes, they are fine. It is a fully functional pneumatic tool. I can do a cape with it as well as the big flesher. It just takes a little longer. It was a great tool for me and I stil use it sometimes in the tough areas. One tip, capes will mini-flesh better if they have been salted for a few hours. It is tough to do a wet cape with one. Meaning no disrespect to Jim, but I have been in this business for 12 years and commercial tanneries have been a nightmare, but this is just my opinion. You hear both sides when ever you are in a group of taxidermist.

Once again

This response submitted by Hunter on 9/18/99. ( ) 165.117.55.56

I continue to read expierienced Taxidermists tell begginers to send
capes to tanneries.
From another perspective, I was interested in Taxidermy. That means
from start to finish. I find the entire process to be fullfilling.
I understand that Taxidermists who rely on thier art (trade) as a
career do not have the time to tan and shave their own hides and it
more cost effective to send to tanneries, but I believe that every
begginer taxidermist should be encouraged to succeed at proper tanning
methods. They may grow to enjoy it.
it's a great feeling being able to step back after completing a
mount and knowing you completed it, from A to Z.
Dave, just stay on this forum where you know you can get advise
from like Rittel, who work in the industry. Just ask, they,ll
steer you right.

Mini-fleshers are a gift for GOD

This response submitted by Wilderness Tax on 9/27/99. ( ) 209.207.12.41

The mini-flesher has been a big help in the fleshing of gameheads to me. I have found a way to split the nose,lips and thin around the eye's with the mini-flesher. The process leaves the face of the cape so thin be for it is tanned that all you need to do is trim excess flesh on the lips and nose! So buy one,but don't set the blade to deep, and you should be fine. Just remmber that your work is sold in the face of your mount so whatever you can do in the first step will show in the final step.

Return to Category Menu