Is the bear skin lost?

Submitted by John Schwartzlow on 10/25/99. ( john.k.schwartzlow@intel.com ) 143.182.246.27

I recieved a bear skin in at the end of a hot fall day in Arizona. As soon as the hunter could (4+ hours), he wrapped it in several jugs of ice and placed it in a cooler. When I got it, most of the bear was cool.

I caped it, fleshed it and turned it that night. At midnight, I still hadn't removed the feet so I placed it in the refrigerator until the next afternoon. (Probably my mistake.) I salted it heavily and processed it as normal. Salting it several times. The skin stayed oily and didn't flint for several days.

This morning I went out to fold it up for the tannery. A chunk of fur pulled loose on the rear leg. Ugh!!!

I can repair this area if it doesn't grow too much. I looked at the rest of the hide and I didn't find any other obviously loose hair. That doesn't mean it isn't there. My question is:

HOW DO I KNOW IF THE RUG IS LOST? HOW DO I KNOW IF IT IS A WASTE OF TIME TO CONTINUE PROCESSING. DO I GO AROUND RIPPING AT CHUNKS TO SEE IF THEY COME OFF? DO I PUT A COMB TO IT AND SEE WHAT RIPS LOOSE. DO I JUST SEND IT TO THE TANNERY AND HOPE I DON'T WASTE MONEY?

Your experience with bears or hides in general will be appreciated. Thank you!

-- John

Return to Category Menu

Let the tannery know

This response submitted by Frank on 10/26/99. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 152.171.147.69

It just may be that spot, but make sure when you send it, it is dried out. This will help set the hair. Conntact the tannery and let them know your delema. They will then take extra care in that hide to save it. Hopefully you won't have any more slippage.

Return to Category Menu