Removing Blood Stains

Submitted by John Schwartzlow on 10/5/99. ( John.K.Schwartzlow@intel.com ) 143.183.152.14

I've attempted to tan several thin skins at home with Lutan-F (Coyote, fox, bobcats, squirrels, and Javelina). Although the pickling and tanning bleaches the skin to some extent, I'm usually left with stains around the bullet holes. How do the tanneries get such nice bleached color. I've noticed several "blood eater" products in the taxidermy supply catelogs. Are these products what I need? How sould I remove the stains from the hide? What are these products used for? Will these products remove blood from hair (antelope)?

-- John

Return to Category Menu

Remove the blood BEFORE the Pickle!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 10/5/99. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

Always remove any blood BEFORE you place the skin or cape into the Pickle. Otherwise the low ph sets it and its very difficult to remove later. John - there are a lot of Blood removal products available - including our new Blood-Eater (BE-639) product that is an enzyme and really loves blood protein. We've had a few customers call and tell us how amazed they were when they went to rehydrate their dried skins and they saw the blood dispersed in the solution. It usually turns it blood red! But - it rinses away clean afterwards! Some have also used it very successfully on Birds and Skulls too!

Blood Stains

This response submitted by George Roof on 10/6/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.67

John,
Nothing will remove blood once it has capillaried up into the hollow hair of pronghorns. I warn hunters all the time about making sure the blood is washed off before it locks into the hair, but only a few listen. When they get their mount back with a "dirty spot", I tell them just how it got there. Too many hunters TRUST their guides to know all about proper field care. Remind them that if the guide does and the hunter does, the mount is twice as likely to look better when it's mounted.

Return to Category Menu