oiling question

Submitted by in trouble on 10/30/99. ( ) 12.21.211.189

how long after tanning can you let a hide sit before tanning, and what do I need to do to rehydrate them. I need to finish them and do not have a relaxer, is there something else that I can do. They have been out of tan now for over two weeks!

Return to Category Menu

Easy to do!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 10/30/99. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

It's easy to do. I usually do my own skins and capes for mounting this way. I have to assume however, that you meant in your question - how long after tanning can you let a hide sit before mounting! I aalso assume you've oiled it and dried it. If you have - then simply mix up enough water to cover the hide, add a handful of salt per each 1 gallon of water, soak the hide for 30 minutes, take it out dripping wet, put it in a plastic garbage bag, tie it off, refrigerate it overnight, and the next day it should be soft and ready to prep and mount. This is a good method for almost any type skin or cape - and its safe. No need for bacteriacide - its tanned! As for how long you can keep a dried tanned hide before relaxing and mounting - A lot of my personal stuff is at least 2 years old, and depending on how it was tanned (Lutan F or EZ-100) - it should last another 2!

Return to Category Menu