don;t understand

Submitted by dave b on 10/30/99. ( ) 204.116.177.209

idon;t understand why the expert put down using dry preservative on something has thin skin as a bobcat or ,etc. then turn arond anduse it on all of thier greasy ,fatty turkey yes ever after wire wheeling and degreasing they are still fatty and as thick skinned as abobcat if shrinkage is so would;t the feathers all mess up use the good lock tight on mammal no drumming a real tanned hide is great but like so many ohters one taxi. i know puts plain motor oil on hide and calls it tanned shave thin and us good hide glue and dry prev. will work fine i,am used it for 28yrs. and had one deer broung back just my opion

Return to Category Menu

Dry Preserve

This response submitted by George Roof on 10/30/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.75

Bob,
I agree with you to some extent, but lets be realistic. I started in 1957,but I don't drive the 1952 Chevy we owned then. We were glad to get telephone service, and had someone suggested I could sit down in front of a "TV" and use a typewriter keyboard to communicate with someone on the other side of the world, I would have sworn they had been in the paregoric.
Back in those days, you used battery acid for pickle and chromium for the tan. It took days and sometimes weeks to get one tanned and then the hair still fell out. Dry preservative was the answer to all our dreams.
Now we have tans that work in the same speed and the hair is left more manageable and lifelike in the process. They don't do as well as the commercial tans or the immersed tans, but they sure beat hell out of the old way we did things.
I'm a commercial guy, and I do commercial work. Dry preservative plays a very important role in my shop still (even if sometimes I only use it to stop the bleeding when I get careless with a scalpel that I could only dream about way back then.) Competition taxidermists, however, are held to a much higher standard and our commercial methods just won't cut it there.
There are fish tans, bird tans, and reptile tans now. I tend to use DP on small game and birds but we can't get the arsenic anymore to permanently bug proof them. I have to use RAID in an aerosol can instead of the old pump and cannister spray guns we used on flies in the 50's. (The young guys think that they were always meant for flocking antler mounts.)
So if you elect to use DP in your work and your customers are satisfied, you don't have to explain to me or anyone else why you use it. All I'm saying is that everything has a time and place. I try to keep things orchestrated just that way.

I agree with Goerge

This response submitted by John C on 10/30/99. ( ) 204.180.103.197

If your happy with DP, by all means use it. If your happy with motor oil in place of tanning oil by all means use it.

We would and can not get you to change your ways. My son has been working in this business a while and a 16 he knows the difference and how to use the new materials. His work is a lot better than mine, he is one that even at his age he will not change. He say "Dad I am better than you, why should I compete." Well along that same line if you have a method that works well for you, why should you change.

You are satisfing a certain clientel and thats all any of us can do. Good lucj. JC

Return to Category Menu