Blood Stains.

Submitted by JimTucker on 11/4/99. ( bigjims@wilkshire.net ) 207.206.44.3

A friend of mine just received his antelope capes from a tannery and many of them are badly blood stained. The tanneries that I use always return my hides in a very clean manner and I have no experience with this problem. Since my friend is a computer hater I told him I would post this for him. Is there any way to remove the blood from these skins, any help would be appreciated!

Return to Category Menu

Blood Stain

This response submitted by George Roof on 11/4/99. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.208.166

Jim,
Your friend is stuck with the blood stains. Antelope hair is hollow and easily broken off at the tips. Blood coming into contact with the hair are drawn into the hair core by capillary action and become and integral part of the protein. Soap that would eliminate protein have to be used carefully, since the total hair follicle is also protein. I warn all my hunters who go after speed goats that they must take extreme care in keeping blood off the hair. If they wash it off quickly before they roll it up and freeze it, damage can be greatly minimized if not eliminated. The only "fix" I know of is cae replacement.
And remind him, the tannery is not at fault. This one falls squarely on the hunter and the guides in the field.

For next time...

This response submitted by Bob Mead on 11/6/99. ( meadtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 149.101.1.104

I have had the same problems you described with antelope capes, and I have a few suggestions that may be of use to you. If you have blood stains on the brown/tan part of a cape, try running soapy water over the affected area while rolling a round object (ie. paint brush handle, tool handle, etc.) across the stained hair from the root to the tip (be gentle!). I have have moderate success getting the trapped blood out of the hair shaft by doing this. It will take some time, but the stain will be less noticeable.
If you have stains on the white neck patches, try the aforementioned procedure (remember: antelope hair is very fragile), then mount as usual. After the mount has dried, you can whiten up the patches by brushing on a paste made of magnesium carbonate and 40% hydrogen peroxide. Brush the paste onto the affected areas (white areas ONLY), let dry overnight, then brush it off with a fairly stiff brush. I have had good results cleaning up the white areas with this method.
I completely concur with Mr. Roof that the hunter has to take extreme caution with the field care of his antelope. If he does not, neither you nor your tannery can be held responsible for remaining stains. Just as a side note, I charge $25 for each additional hour I have to spend cleaning, repairing, or otherwise "jacking" unnessarily with a mount. I also tan all my antelope in-studio because of their fragility.

Return to Category Menu