TYPES OF SALT ?

Submitted by RICK on 11/15/99. ( ) 24.218.245.64

ON A RECENT TRIP WE USED TABLE SALT ON A CAPE OF MINE. WHEN I ASKED
THE OUTFITTER ABOUT THIS HE ASSURED ME THIS WOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM?
NOT KNOWING ANY BETTER AND FIGURING SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING
WAS THIS CHOICE OK? AND WHAT TYPE OF SALT SHOULD BE USED ON ALL CAPES
?

Return to Category Menu

salt

This response submitted by Mark on 11/15/99. ( ) 207.230.196.159

I buy my salt from a local feed mill and it is fine granlated food grade salt. I haven't had any problems so it must work. Good Luck, Mark

It will work!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 11/16/99. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

Salt whether Table Salt or Grain (mixing or pickling) salt will do the job right! Just be aware that table salt is usually iodized, to prevent goiter problems in humans. And - even mixing (used for Cow feeds) or pickling (used for pickling vegetables) salt is now available only as having added to it - Yellow Prusiatte of Soda. In all cases - they work! Just avoid Rock Salt, Kosher Salt and some Solar dried Salts. They usually either disolve slowly or have a lot of unwanted impurities. The fact that salt is iodized or non-iodized means very little. Its only a difference in price - the non-iodized is less and therefore preferred. As for the Yellow Prusiatte of Soda - its an anti-clumping agent and it does slightly raise the ph - but not enough to worry about. Just be aware of it.

Return to Category Menu