Folded Cape vs. Cape Laid Full Out

Submitted by Leanna on 11/30/99. ( scardeer@cornernet.com ) 209.98.65.64

I've been wondering what the benefits and or drawbacks are of folding a salted cape like a blanket to let drain, versus a salted cape hair side down and skin up, completely lain out and not folded at all would be. (Besides the room it takes up!) Does it dry out too quickly that way before it has a chance to drain? Does a folded cape tend to seep out more fluids??? Thanks for your patience!

Return to Category Menu

no fold

This response submitted by Doug on 11/30/99. ( scheibs@ibm.net ) 32.97.136.236

Hi Leanna,
I'm no expert, but here is my 2 cents worth. A folded cape will not
dry out as fast as a laid out cape. The key is to dry the cape as quickly
as possible especially in warm climates. Moistier(sp) will cause bacteria
to grow and inturn cause slippage. Hope this helps.

Doug

Fold like a towel

This response submitted by Todd Buchanan on 11/30/99. ( trigger@indy.net ) 209.183.94.174

I was going back thru the archives yesterday. I came across one From
Bruce Rittel. I believe it said to salt the cape and fold it like a
towel hair to hair, skin to skin but do not roll it

Todd

But why why why?!!!

This response submitted by Leanna on 11/30/99. ( ) 209.98.65.63

I'm wondering about the reasons WHY some fold their skins as opposed to laying them out, is it space reasons or do they tend to DRAIN better that way? Sorry if this is a dorky question. I seem to have a lot of those! I tend to start thinking too deeply on the oddest things.

My Reason

This response submitted by John M. on 11/30/99. ( maddenj@lafargek12.wi.us ) 156.46.77.18

I tan my own hides,and the reason I FOLD and hang them after
salting is so they drain better. Once they are completly dry,
they are hard to bend. So I only need a vat half as big to
rehydrate. Or if you use a tannier, you will need a long box
to ship them.

Good luck

John M.

Salt Flat.....Hang (fold) to Dry

This response submitted by Keith Daniels on 12/1/99. ( arlcape@bright.net ) 205.212.120.254

Leanna, leave them flat when salted, this way they'll drain off. You don't want to puddle the juice in folds any more than you have to, since it weakens the salt, and doesn't penetrate the skin as good, resulting in spots that are harder to soak up, as well as more chance for slippage. The best way to dry them, espacially if you're going to ship them, is to hang them over a 2x4, much like a saw horse, with the head on one side, shoulders on the other. Make sure the shoulders hang down further than the face, then when you ship, the heavy skin of the shoulders will keep the brittle nose, lip and ear skin from cracking when it gets beat around in the box. The absolue worst thing you can do is dry a deer by hanging it by the nose from a nail. Not only are those capes hard to re-hydrate, but we also see a lot of face damage on them.

Hope this helps,

Keith

THANKYOU!

This response submitted by Leanna on 12/1/99. ( ) 209.98.65.54

Thanks guys!

Leanna - Here's my 2 cents worth too!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 12/1/99. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

There's absolutely nothing wrong with laying the cape or skin out flat while its salted and drying, except that a lot of Taxidermists, find it difficult to do this if they have 10-15 capes or skins. It takes up too much space! They also tend to roll them up - which really isnt good since it traps the liquids instead of letting them easily drain away. By folding them you reduce the space they take up and although they dry a bit slower than an open cape or skin, nevertheless they do dry.

Return to Category Menu