Foul Smelling Fox Tail

Submitted by Andy on 11/21/99. ( ) 198.70.224.27

Hi,

Made my first mistake the other day when casing a red fox. Forgot to split the tail and salt. Is there anything I can do to save it. Thanks in advance.

Andy

Return to Category Menu

Unless its bone dry - Do it now!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 11/21/99. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

There should still be time to do it now - unless its dried solid. Just seperate the fur on the underside and using a single edged razor blade, carefully cut a straight line from the base to the tip. Then carefully peel it away from the bone. You may have to cut it free if its already drying. Just cut close to the bone and keep your cuts shallow. After skinning - salt it well and you should be OK.

Thanks

This response submitted by andy on 11/21/99. ( ) 198.70.224.27

Thanks Bruce,

Ive been told that once a tail begins to smell, its rotted and the fur wont set even with Salting. I was pretty bummed seeing that this was my first fox I caught. Hopefully, it'll work. If not, there will be others. The bone had been removed when I first skinned it out, would that make a difference?

Andy

OK - No bone!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 11/21/99. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

Oh - there's no bone in it! I misinterpeted your question. My apologies. Yes- if it has a putrid odor and not simply a musky foxy odor - then it may have already rotted! There's one way to find out - use an umbrella stave as a guide and take a single edged razor blade and cut it wide open from the base to the tip. You'll know!! Salt it anyway and pray! But I think you're too late!

Return to Category Menu