Where to start with deer skin?

Submitted by hebb on 11/24/99. ( ) 24.4.254.163

Just got a nice buck skinned and was wondering where to start if I want to tan it. The skin is just sitting on a tarp fur up right now. How fast do I need to get started, and where do I begin? It's 9:30, so no shops are open to get tanning supplies. Is the skin just a loss or can I save it?

Return to Category Menu

lay it out flat in your freezer.

This response submitted by John C on 11/24/99. ( ) 204.180.103.51

Do so that it will freezer and thaw quickly. Fri. find 10 pounds of salt and use half of it to salt the hide. Scrape all fat off and resalt. The get what suppies you need from WASCO or Rittel's. Follow the directions on the EZ-100. John C

Your E-Mail address would help!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 11/25/99. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.0.8

In a situation like this - it would help if you include your E-Mail addess with your question. That way, someone could get to you with info on how to go about working on that skin right away. However, as a "quick" fix - try first removing all the chunks of meat on the skin and then salting it. Iodized or non-iodized will work. Just be liberal. Keep the skin dry. Fold it like a towel - dont roll it! And then set it aside on a garbage bag to drain for 24-48 hours. After draining, shake out the salt and carefully flesh it out, removing all the meat and the membrane. Then resalt it, leave it set folded for 1-2 days, and then shake it out and hang it over a beam or clothsline to dry rock hard. In the meantime you can decide what Tannery you want to use or order your tanning supplies to tan it yourself. I'm assuming you arent doing the cape or head.

Return to Category Menu