Bruce, you have got me a little confused.......

Submitted by Tony on 12/12/99. ( tholder85@yahoo.com ) 216.220.133.193

In the previous post you say that the cape should be completely dry before pickling
and in the instructions that came with your EZ-100 kit you say to salt the cape and
fold it for 24 hours to drain. Then shake of old salt and resalt and fold for another
24-48 hours, then, either place it in the pickle or shake of old salt and resalt again
and allow it to dry hard and store it until ready to continue. It seems that the
instructions that came with the EZ-100 kit say that it is ok to go ahead and place the
cape in the pickle before it is dried hard. At least that is the way I interpreted them.
If I am wrong, please let me know. I just placed a cape in the pickle that was semi-hard that
had been resalted and dried in front of a fan for three days, but was still not dried completely
hard. I hope I have not made a mistake and wind up losing the cape!

Thanks,
Tony

Return to Category Menu

It's a personal call!!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 12/12/99. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.41.131

Tony - I've stated many times on the Forum here that you should dry your skins and capes bone hard dry to set the hair before Pickling! And I still say that! The instructions you referred to does say what you said, but drying them hard to set the hair is best! No method is 100%! Even drying them does not guarantee 100% that you will now be successful - but the odds have gotten better! Lets face it, the care it had in the field, how you care for it when it comes in, your experience, all these factors contribute to the final outcome.

Don't forget to rehydrate before pickling

This response submitted by Steve A. on 12/13/99. ( ) 216.220.14.39

I'm not sure if I read your message right, but don't forget to rehydrate
your skin, if it is dried hard, prior to pickling. Listen to Bruce. He
is the expert. I had trouble with hair slippage earlier and it was
because I wasn't salt drying the skins until they were hard.

Return to Category Menu