BUILDING A TUMMBLER, Anyone Have any IDEAS?????

Submitted by Charlie on 12/15/99. ( wolfman65@worldnet.att.net ) 63.24.27.32

Gonna be tanning and preparing my own Hide(DEER CAPE). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to build a tumbler(NON-PRESURRIZED). Thanks Chuck

Return to Category Menu

Just One Hide ??????????????

This response submitted by Bob B on 12/15/99. ( foxranch@hotmail.com ) 156.46.64.16

Chuck,

If you are only doing one cape, why go through the expense and time of building
a tumbler. Do it the old fashion way, stake it or break it by hand.

If you have to build one, B. Rittel has often discussed his dream tumbler (4ft by 6 ft)
check the archives for his suggestions. Others have converted old dryers.

Several suppliers provide such plans with the purchase of tumbling material.

Good Luck with either method

Building a tumbler

This response submitted by Larry on 12/15/99. ( hidebeak@cpinternet.com ) 204.220.140.226

I built a tumbler (actually a remodeling job) out of a clothes dryer. You should be able to pick one up cheap, or for nothing at all. They even have timers. Just make sure the motor works. You disconnect the heating elements, seal the holes in the drum and door, and you're in business. You may have to install a better latch on the door too. Works like a charm! I think Breakthrough had an article on this, so you may want to check this out. If you have any other questions, give me a call at 218-729-8452, Mon-Fri, 9-5 CDT. Happy Holidays.

I am building one

This response submitted by Brian Kemp on 12/15/99. ( fur62@aol.com ) 205.188.208.11

Charlie,
I am building a six foot tumbler. I got the plans from Rittel. So far it is turning out nice. From what I hear on the internet it works awesome. I am a trapper and fur prices are so low that I decided to tan my own hides and try to make a few extra bucks. Let me know how yours turns out. Can't go wrong with Bruce's tumbler.

Fur Chaser

Return to Category Menu