whats the best

Submitted by craig on 12/17/99. ( ) 139.134.164.51

im currently using a lutan f tan and pickle with great results.the problem i have is that in the pickle i use formic acid which is very expensive.ive been told i can use sulphuric acid,which is a lot cheaper.not taking the cost into account but are there any difference in using either and will i get the same results.thanks

Return to Category Menu


No not sulphuric

This response submitted by Mark on 12/17/99. ( knoblochs@worldnet.att.net ) 12.74.72.9

I would highly reccomend not to use sulphuric, stay with
formic or citric acid. When you use sulphuric acid what will
happen is that you never will get all of the acid out of the
skin or get it completely neutralized. If you have ever got
acid on a piece of clothing while working on a car you will
notice that it will eat a hole in it, even after you wash it
two or three times the hole will get bigger and bigger. This
is because this acid is hard to stop. The second reason is that
Hydrolisis is common with products that have a sulphuric base.
Which basically means that the skin will deteriorate over a
period of time. Some that do use it will neutralize one or
two extra times to help solve this problem.
Mark
Knoblochs


OXALIC ACID

This response submitted by Brad on 12/17/99. ( BRodemeyer@aol.com ) 152.163.188.1

Try this to save some $$---If you call a company called MINUTE MAN INC. in Waterloo ,Wisc. You can order Oxalic Acid at a good price and this works Great for pickle-----Minute Man is a furniture restoration supply company --they use it to bleach wood. I don't have the Number now but if you interested you can E-mail me and I'll get it to you


sulfuric

This response submitted by Brad on 12/17/99. ( bschindler@ecol.net ) 209.83.16.225

Even if sulferic would work why use such a bad chemical. I worked in a Plating shop and that stuff is to corrosive to deal with this stuff could eat through concrete if not rinsed. dont deal with it I knew a guy who almost lost an eye because of a splash of it the size of a rain drop. and to add you can't just dump it down the drain, If you were enviromentally concious.


sulfuric

This response submitted by Brad on 12/17/99. ( bschindler@ecol.net ) 209.83.16.225

Even if sulferic would work why use such a bad chemical. I worked in a Plating shop and that stuff is to corrosive to deal with this stuff could eat through concrete if not rinsed. dont deal with it I knew a guy who almost lost an eye because of a splash of it the size of a rain drop. and to add you can't just dump it down the drain, If you were enviromentally concious.


Caution about oxalic

This response submitted by Mark on 12/18/99. ( knoblochs@worldnet.att.net ) 12.74.90.30

You will also want to take great caution with Oxalic as well for it is very poisonus to humans plus it can bleach the hide as well.
Mark
Knoblochs


Rittel safety acid

This response submitted by deer woman on 12/18/99. ( ) 205.188.209.137

I've used it, works like formic, but is suppossed to be nontoxic and environmentally ok. Formic in its undiluted form can burn you, safety acid is suppossed to not harm at all.


Return to Category Menu