Lowering PH in Citric Acid

Submitted by Matt on 12/25/99. ( ) 205.188.209.41

My Citric Acid Pickle is beginning to rise 3.0 currently.Is there a way to lower the PH while skins are in the Pickle & how high can I let it go before getting concerned. Thanks Matt

Return to Category Menu

The Magic Level is 2.5!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 12/25/99. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.42.122

Keep a Citric Acid pickle at 2.5 or lower. Your 3.0 is high. I wiuld suggest removing the skins, and then adjusting the Ph to 2.5 or lower (I like it about 2.2) and then putting the skins back in. It may be wise to drain and then rinse (dont soak them) the skins well with clear water first, before putting them back in. The reason for the ph increase may be because the skins have some residual soap or something still in them. Detergents like Dawn and Joy are hard to rinse away.

More!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 12/26/99. ( rittel@ici.net ) 207.180.41.104

To adjust the Ph of your Pickle - simply remove the skins first, and then add more Citric Acid to lower the Ph OR if you want to raise it, add Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) to raise it. In either case, whenever adding a powdered chemical to a solution - ALWAYS DISOLVE IT FIRST IN WATER BEFORE ADDING IT!

Return to Category Menu