Neutralizing.

Submitted by Ed on 5/30/99. ( akniazi@aol.com )

To neutralize a cape after Pickling, is it better to
neutralize it in the pickle solution by adding baking soda
gradualy or prepare a special neutralizing bath.

Thanks.

Ed.

Return to Category Menu

Best to do it seperately!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 5/30/99. ( rittel@ici.net )

My own advice would be do it seperately! Basically you obviously want to neutralize it - but it also serves to reduce the amount of Salt left in the skin after pickling. After all, you generally use 1 Lb. of Salt per 1 gallon of Pickle - and that's a lot. Neutralizing in a seperate bath helps to take some of this excess salt out. Besides - by not neutralizing the Pickle - now you can reuse it if you choose, or continue to pickle other skins in it, or when you mix your tanning solution, to adjust its ph - simply dip out some pickling solution and use it for adjusting. I'm assuming you are tanning statically (Garbage Can Tanning) and not using a Wet Drum.

Thanks, another question.

This response submitted by Ed on 5/30/99. ( akniazi@aol.com )

Thanks for your help Bruce. I am statically tanning,
using Saftey Acid.
In the seperate bath for neutralizing,should i start
with fresh water or slightly acidic water?
Also do hides go through a neutrilizing Shock that we
hear about when placed in a base all of a sudden?
& what does that do to the hide.

Thanks.
Ed.

I'll give it my best shot!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 5/30/99. ( rittel@ici.net )

First of all - how do you like the Saftee Acid? Is this the first time you've tried it! As to the neutralizing - use fresh water and a 1 Oz. of Baking Soda per gallon. Its a MILD neutralizing bath, so there will be a very LOW heat of dilution when you introduce the skins. I believe thats what you can call the "Shock". The shock refers to the condition of the epidermis, which holds the hair roots. You dont want to pulp it with too much of an alkaline. This wont - but dont overdo it! Generally when tanning with Alum, Lutan F or Chrome 20 minutes should do it. With EZ-100 or most of the paint-on tans go 30 minutes. In reality all you're doing is neutralizing the outside of the skin. The inside will always be somewhat acidic - and thats OK! Dont go by the bubbles generated - if you did, you'd have to leave the skins in for an hour at least! No good!

Saftee Acid

This response submitted by Ed on 5/30/99. ( akniazi@aol.com )

Saftee Acid is fantastic. I have just started using it

and really like the results. It plumps up the capes like

formic acid, but without the dangers.Anyone who has not
tried it is missing a great product.

Bruce thanks a lot for explaining nuterilizing in detail.
I appreciate it.
Thanks
Ed.

Return to Category Menu