LUTAN F

Submitted by DOC on 6/8/99. ( )

Lutan F directions says "after oiling to let dry, then rehydrate and mount or freeze. EZ-100 you are able to mount or freeze after oiling. What makes Lutan different and or is the drying process a must?

Return to Category Menu

Not much difference to me!!!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 6/9/99. ( rittel@ici.net )

I've used both tanning agents the same way. Both ways. However - always be aware that the actual chemical bonding really is fully completed "after" drying. I really don't feel that there is any difference between Lutan F or EZ-100 at this point in your process! My personal opinion however - is to let the skin or cape dry after tanning to set the hair or fur as well as the tanning agent, and then rehydrate and mount or freeze it! This eliminates storing them in your freezer, and they are prefectly safe hanging tanned and dried.

Rehydrate

This response submitted by Barry Buras on 6/9/99. ( wildthings@astrosfan.net )

Bruce, what is the best way to rehydrate a Lutan-F skin, commercially tanned and dried. Seems on some of mine they get rubbery(acid swell?)and I think I soaked them too long. Confused......

Lutan-F,,,,,,EZ-100

This response submitted by DOC on 6/9/99. ( )

Mr. Rittel....if I understood your response to my question correctly your perferd method is for Lutan-F to dry complete not EZ-100? Also when I have had a Lutan-F cape dried for a extended period of time, it seems not to rehydrate very well. Is there a limited shelve time before one should mount?(for any tanning process)

An answer for both of you

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 6/10/99. ( rittel@ici.net )

First Barry - Use the Universal Relaxing Method for rehydrating a tanned skin - Any skin, Lutan F, EZ-100, or even Alum. Simply add a handful of Salt to each 1 gl. of Water used, and soak them for 30 minutes. Remove them dripping wet, and then put them in a plastic bag, tie it off, and put in your refrigerator overnight. Don't freeze. They'll be nice and limp as a general rule - with NO acid swelling! And for DOC - one of the best qualities of Lutan F or EZ-100 is that there is no shelf life. They do not deteriorate. However, I'd try the above method to relax your capes and skins before mounting. As for drying, both tans can be used pretty much the same - They can be mounted or frozen after oiling and tumbling (preferably with a solvent) or dried hard and then rehydrated using the above method. The only distinctive difference between these 2 tans is that one is washable (EZ-100) and the other (Lutan F) is not. One thing NOT to do after tanning, is to wash the skin. Alkalines (soaps) can wash out or weaken the bonding of the tannage (both). Simply rinse it well with clean water. If the capes need washing, do it when they are in the pickle, then rinse, and return them back into the pickle for another 24 hours. I like to do it when I shave them.

Residual Salt?

This response submitted by Barry Buras on 6/10/99. ( wildthings@astrosfan.net )

Bruce by adding a handful of salt to the rehydration bath is there any problems with residual salts in the hide if it is not rinsed after relaxing and before mounting?

Normally - No!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 6/11/99. ( rittel@ici.net )

Normally it doesnt cause a problem - but if it makes you more comfortable, simply rinse the skin or cape with clean water when you take it out the next day. A handful of Salt is really equal to only 4 Ozs., so it isn't much - plus the Acid Swelling protection it provides is worth it.

Hey Bruce

This response submitted by Travis on 6/11/99. ( )

Just read your article in Breakthrough today---I really enjoyed it...I don`t feel so "in the dark" now....Looking forward to the next issue..

bruce rittel ez100 in automatic tanner

This response submitted by greenhorn tanner on 6/25/99. ( )

bruce ,please give me the instructions on how you use the ez100 tanning agent in the automatic tanner. how would you evaluate this machine? do you think it would be a wise investment for the commercial taxidermist? also, do you have a formula for lutan f in the tanner? thanks for your help. the greenhorn tanner

Return to Category Menu