WET TAN BENEFIT

Submitted by PAUL JONES on 7/14/99. ( )

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF A WET TANNED SKIN
WHY DONT LET IT DRY, I HAVE A BIG FREZZE IDONT KNOW IF IT WOULD BE BETTER TO FREZZE MY SKINS AFTER OILING THEM BEINNG ALMOST DRY OR WHAT SHOULD I DO I REALY DONT KNOW ABOUT WET TAN
THANKS PAUL

Return to Category Menu

Benefit

This response submitted by Keith Daniels on 7/14/99. ( arlcape@bright.net )

Paul, the advantages are, it's less abusive to the more delicate areas of the skin since you don't have the extra drummings, it eliminates the step of re-hydration, and you will get an easier fit when you mount the skin. The disadvantages are, it takes a small amount of freezer space, and you probably will see a very little more shrinkage in the mount since the extra stretch will allow you to mount it a little bigger than you should.

Keith Daniels

This response submitted by Pedro Gonzalez on 7/14/99. ( )

Thanks, now when should i frezze the skin some time 1or 2 days after
oiling or almost dry i wet the skin a little and then frezze.
I have a question ,doesnt the dryng process suposed to tighten up
the hair, so if if i leave it wet frozen and i dont mount in right
away after being defrosted i could have problems with loose hair
specialy with some lifezise animals that takes lots of time to fit
the skin to the form. What do you think of this Kieth i am not sure
about this could you give me an advice for this.
THANKS PAUL

Timeing

This response submitted by Keith on 7/14/99. ( )

Pedro, we let the skins rolled up at room temperature for about 24 hr. then drum them in corn cob grit with solvent added. Drum them just long enough to clean the excess oil off the hair and skin both. It will pull a lot of the moisture (water) out of the skin, but not really effect the oil unless you drum it way too long, just long enough to clean it up is all you need. Now the hair will be pretty much dry, but the leather still damp, but you will need to wet the leather some before mounting. The hair is set after the tanning, you don't need to dry the skin to set it. I think what you might be thinking about is when you salt a green skin, the salt drying sets the hair. I've never really heard of a problem with hair slipping after tanning on a properly tanned skin. I know people who have even had Red Fox in and out of the freezer several times with no problems. Carol has had bears out of the freezer for 2 and 3 days at a time, several times before completeing the mount with no problems at all. Think about this, once it's tanned, it's a stable material, there's no raw material left for bacteria to attack and break down which is what causes hair to slip, unless the skin wasn't properly pickled, then not completely tanned.

Kieth

This response submitted by Pedro on 7/15/99. ( )

Thanks again Kieth , i will try this method
Pedro

Return to Category Menu