Don't Understand Pickeling

Submitted by John on 3/1/1999. ( payne@pyatt.net )

I have been doing taxidermy for a hobby for a couple of years. I do not understand why pickeling is nessary. Please help me understand. I have used cream tans and dry perservtives on deer capes, it seems like mounts turn out o.k., but I read alot about pickeling. I would appreciate any information.

Thank You

Return to Category Menu

Pickeling

This response submitted by Knoblochs on 3/1/1999. ( knoblochs@worldnet.att.net )

John, Pickeling is an important step in the tanning proceedure,
it serves many purposes to start, you want to have a ph of 2 or 3
it will help set the hair and break down the hide.(12 to 48 hrs) by breaking down the hide it will be a lot easier to shave the hide so
that it will accept a tan better faster and the swabbing oil
oil will penetrate faster. By shaving the hide you will gain
more stretch and a better piece of leather that can turn out
softer.All in all you can go on for days, acids that work are formic,citric,bascal s and many more.Neutralize after pickle for 30 min ph of 4 to 5. rinse well then apply Liqua tan or any other favorite tan.I'm sure you will have many replies on this.If you
would like some information more detailed with pickle formulas
please contact me at Knoblochs 303-666-9045 or knoblochs@worldnet.att.net
Mark

In a Pickle

This response submitted by Backbone on 3/2/1999. ( wildlife@udnet.net )

John,
Like you, I learned as kid using dry preservative. I then went to brining capes and paint on tans. I now pickle all my capes. It took some getting used to as I was always a bit nervous about imersing a cape in a liquid for so long. But be rest assured a properly prepared pickle is a safe way to prepare a cape for the tanning process. A pickle plumps the hide and allows it to be thinned easily prior to tanning. If using a paint on tan a pickle will help with the penetration of the agents and with the stretch of the cape. There are many ways to prepare a pickle but I prefer Rittel's safety acid method. So far I have experienced no problems with it. I also have found some good information concerning pickles in this forum down a little farther.

The safest place to keep that cape!!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 3/3/1999. ( rittel@ici.net )

They're right! A pickle is a safe place to keep the cape intact! I always think of it as a holding solution. I feel safe keeping it in the pickle until I can work on it. As long as you check the ph level from time to time, and stir it. Let's face it, if you are a part-timer, sometimes family obligations and other distractions, will interfere with our work. But once the cape is relaxed, and in the pickle, and its still intact, I can breathe easier that I know its going to make it. As long I leave it there long enough to thoroughly pickle (3 days), I can take it out when its convenient and do my shaving, degreasing and washing, followed by a rinse, before neutralizing and tanning it. The pickle also plumps the flesh so that my shaver can get a good "bite" as it shaves too! Some of the soluable fluids also get dispersed from the flesh, so you can also think of it as a cleansing bath too. I use a pickle to actually hold my skins and capes. After 3 days I can begin to shave, degrease and wash, and all that syuff, but I can also leave them there for several weeks until I'm ready to tan. It saves freezer space by keeping them pickled. I've personally kept capes pickled (in Saftee Acid) for up to 4 weeks and longer, until I had the time to work with them. Tanneries love pickling, because it allows them time to deal with a lot of skins - SAFELY! They pickle 100 capes or more - obviously more than can be shaved in one day, so the pickle is their insurance that they remain intact until they can be completed. I guess the best way to think of pickling is - an opportunity to prepare the cape or skin for tanning! Safely!!!!!!!

DEGREASE

This response submitted by Janie on 3/3/1999. ( )

Bruce,
I usually will wash cape then degrease then wash then put in pickel
couple days shave then put in pickel again neutralize then tan am I
doing to much. I always worry about pickel getting to dirty, what do
you think. Very seldom do I have to worry about hair slippage.

For Janie!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 3/10/1999. ( rittel@ici.net )

Nothing wrong with your way - but I prefer to do it after I've shaved the cape and then throw it back into the pickle. I never reuse a pickle so I dont care if it gets dirty. Never worry about the dirty pickle - its only soluable dirt anyway. A rinse after pickling, and it all goes away. For your way though, always work with cool (not cold) water for your washing and make it brief, followed by a good rinse.

For Janie!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 3/10/1999. ( rittel@ici.net )

Nothing wrong with your way - but I prefer to do it after I've shaved the cape and then throw it back into the pickle. I never reuse a pickle so I dont care if it gets dirty. Never worry about the dirty pickle - its only soluable dirt anyway. A rinse after pickling, and it all goes away. For your way though, always work with cool (not cold) water for your washing and make it brief, followed by a good rinse.

THANK YOU

This response submitted by Janie on 3/10/1999. ( )

Bruce,
Thank you for your reponse.

Return to Category Menu