to shave or not to shave

Submitted by Garrett on 3/23/99. ( )

Sorry I do not have an Email. Thank you Mark for the Knobloch catalog. My question is whether I should shave hides before or after I salt them? If I do not shave before salting, how long can I expect the hide to last before I shave it and pickle it? Every time I think I have the process figured out a new topic arrives and new suggestions are provided. This is great! Thank you all for your time.

Return to Category Menu

Wiat until they're Pickled!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 3/23/99. ( rittel@ici.net )

Garrett - Its a lot easier to shave a pickled skin or cape than TRYING to shave a raw one. After its been in the pickle 3 days or longer, it is firmer, and since the pickle has a temporary preserving quality, its the perfect time to take them out, drain them for 30 minutes, then shave, degrease if you have to, wash, and rinse. I then always throw them back in for another 24 hours so it takes the pickle evenly. Then I neutralize and tan. If you shave them before pickling - its a lot like trying to shave a rubber band! They are too gummy and stretchy. If you want good shaving like the Tanneries do - wait until they are pickled.

Thank you

This response submitted by Garrett on 3/23/99. ( )

Thank you Bruce. I assumed that was the case, but I wanted to make sure. If you do not mind, I have another question for you. If I cannot pickle the hide right away, how long can I wait, after the skin has been salted twice, before I need to pickle. I just want to be sure that I do not cause any problems by waiting to long. Thank you

Salt will keep it!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 3/24/99. ( rittel@ici.net )

I usually skin, cut away any fat, meat and Salt for 1-2 days and put it on a slant or over milk cartons so it drains. Then I put the skin or cape on my Beam and flesh it thoroughly. Then I resalt it for another 1-2 days folded, and then shake out the loose salt and hang it over a line to dry completely. The Salt besides helping to dry it quickly, also leaches out all the fluids, and has a preserving quality too. Once its dried hard, if you can keep it dry, it should last 2-6 months, until you have to rehydrrate it and pickle. Some guys freeze them - but I prefer hanging them dry. It sets the hair up better before pickling, and I like to keep my freezer for Deer meat instead! I dont like to keep dried capes over the summer months, the heat that builds up sometimes causes problems. Its usually a good habit to get them in the pickle before the warm weather moves in.

Thanks again Bruce

This response submitted by Garrett on 3/24/99. ( )

I really appreciate you sharing your time and experience with me. I believe that I am ready to try my hand at this. I am sure I will be back for more help, I hope you don't mind? You guys and gals are very much appreciated!

Thanks again

This response submitted by Garrett on 3/24/99. ( )

Thanks again for your time Bruce. I really appreciate you answering my questions. All of you that take the time to help others is greatly appreciated. I feel that I have spent enough time reading from the forum and other areas that maybe I am ready to attempt this process. I hope you don't mind, but I am sure I will have more questions later. Thanks again.

Looks good

This response submitted by kent doyal on 3/24/99. ( )

Good answer MARK

KENT

Return to Category Menu