Need Formula for pickleing with safetee acid

Submitted by Marc on 3/26/99. ( Marcs35@aol.com )

Need instruction for safetee acid pickle !!!Also if someone could give me instructions for tanning with Rittels Ez100 based on water volume rather than drained weight. Thanks in advance!!!!

Return to Category Menu

No Problem!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 3/26/99. ( rittel@ici.net )

Marc - I'll give you the SA-200 formula here, but E-mail me or Call me at (508) 822-3821, and I'll send or fax the EZ-100 instructions to you right away. The formula for mixing Saftee Acid is: To every 1 Gallon of Pickling solution, add 0.5 fl. ozs. of Saftee Acid (SA-200), and 1 Lb. of Salt. Your ph should read approx. 1.1-1.5. Just keep it under 2.0 and you'll be safe. Your Salt content should read on your Salinometer, 40-43%. DO NOT add Lysol or anything else to this pickle!!!!!!. Under a 2.0 you will sterilize and kill all bacteria anyway, so dont waste your money on a bacteriacide once its in the SA-200 pickle. I highly recommend that when you place the skins in you stir and check your ph 1-2 hours later. Make sure it stays below a 2.0. Leave the skins in it for 3 days, and stir it every day. After 3 days, you can either take them out and shave, degrease, wash, rinse and return them to the pickle for another 24 hours before neutralizing and tanning - OR leave them in the pickle until you're ready to tan them. Its safe to leave them there for several weeks. Its a great pickling acid!

pickle

This response submitted by frank on 3/26/99. ( basswtrout@aol.com )

Yes it is a great pickle. I finally got time to say thanks Bruce for a safe pickle. I enojoyed using it very much. Did wonders for my hides. The one thing I noticed is after pickling for 3 days and then shaving them, the hides seam to soften up real nice. Great stuff Bruce thanks for the new acid.

Return to Category Menu