Leave it to Beaver!!!

Submitted by Jim Angott on 3/26/99. ( )

Hey Gang,
A friend of mine wants to tan a 45lb Beaver, to make into a rug. He requested the the webbing between the toes are plyable and same with the tail. I never Tanned a mammal this large, I tried a squirrel or two, but thats it. Any suggestion would help. He skinned the big tree chopper and salted the hide, I suggested after 48hrs, re-salt and let dry until we are going to jump in and tan this thing. Any Ideas?

Return to Category Menu

Hey Jim

This response submitted by Bob C on 3/26/99. ( bobswildlife@webtv.net )

Jim, I haven't seen a beaver come back from the tannery with the feet or tail soft. I'm not sure it can be done. Good luck, Bob C

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

This response submitted by Perry on 3/26/99. ( pgk@ncentral.com )

Bob,

I'm glad you answered that one that way. I always use
artifical tails( when they are the right size) and webbing
was always stiff. On the smaller beavers( 12-16 inches) I
skin the tails and carve a form out of foam( I know, I should
just cast the little &*#$%^ but I don't do that many. Will
commercial tanneries even try and tan the tails?

You can do it!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 3/27/99. ( rittel@ici.net )

It looks like you're facing doing a mini-rug, somewhat like you would a Bear - but on a smaller scale. Bob and Perry's advice was right on. You will have to face mounting the feet and tail, and maybe the head if you want to, and be satisfied that they will not be soft and pliable. Tan them - but mount them too! Actually tanning the Beaver shouldn't pose too much of a problem, but remember to degrease that Beaver! They have a very persistant fat content. You may also encounter a lot of work fleshing that baby - myself, I'd use my shaver on it. For tanning a rug - My choice would be EZ-100, simply for softness and its resistance to moisture. I've had too many rugs brought in to be repaired with hard cracked spots where the other tans have simply washed out due to moisture or wetness where they've lain.

Return to Category Menu