Am I alone?

Submitted by Christian on 10/15/05 at 3:58 AM. ( ) 68.190.96.224

About 2 years ago I sold all my taxidermy equipment because I was having the worst time of it. I have no animals to show because they just didn't turn out right. I put in more money then I should have. I regret being so stupid! I even went to a taxidermist to learn. He does great work, but is a lousy teacher. There were times I waited an hour for him while he was chatting on the phone or having supper and forgeting about me. I feel like a fool. I love this art form but am feeling very down. Every year I get the itch to try again. I promised myself to not go overboard, but sure would love to try another duck. I have yet to be able to display one with pride. Am I just asking for it? Thanks for taking the time to read this, Christian

Return to Taxidermy Training Category Menu

Where do you live?

This response submitted by Mark on 10/15/05 at 5:48 AM. ( Mitrooper27@yahoo.com ) 69.244.168.22

More than welcome to stop by when I am working if your in S/E Michigan. Im not the best but have learned quite a bit in the last couple of years and never mind helping someone who is struggling. Remember to start small and work your way up, confidence is hugh in this game. My first mount ever was a woody LOL, the only thing that turned out was the head, I saved it as a reminder : ) how dificult taxidermy can be. A few years and many woodys later, I enjoy instead of fear them. Good luck, hang in there. Mark natures-reflection.com

Two Marks cant make a wrong

This response submitted by Mark on 10/15/05 at 11:04 AM. ( Shmockaloc@cox.net ) 70.191.114.10

Im in Ohio. Cleveland Area. Same as above. I could help w/ a small project to keep you focused and on track. I owe somebody... something... somewhere... Good Luck

Mark

Not alone, I'm sure

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 10/15/05 at 11:32 PM. ( mhoneyATmindspringDOTcom ) 207.69.0.13

Christian, I see lots of people putting out lots of money on training and equipment to just get started in taxidermy. One of the truely great things about taxidermy is that it can be done with very little investment. Sure, after getting into it a bit bigger most will get more and more tools to make it go easier but to just begin it doesn't take much. It sounds like you miss doing taxidermy so why not mount a duck? Just don't go out and spend a bunch of money right off. Many taxidermists will help you and this site is a good place to find one close to where you are. Also joining your state association is the often overlooked shortcut to success. Good luck, Aaron H.

Its hard work, don't give up.

This response submitted by Matt on 12/4/05 at 9:18 AM. ( ) 4.159.59.107

Consider the American Institute of Taxidermy (www.americantaxidermy.com).The training is excellent.

Return to Taxidermy Training Category Menu