I would like to apprentice

Submitted by Tim Hofmann on 10/28/05 at 2:08 PM. ( skybone@hotmail.com ) 4.182.221.78

I am interested in learning about taxidermy, and in particular using animal skins to create clothing or forms. I'd like to practice with a professional taxidermist rather than attending a school, but if I can't find anyone to practice with, I will go to a school eventually. Does anyone use/train or need apprentices? I would be grateful for any advice at all.
Thanks. you can reply to my email address
Tim Hofmann

Return to Taxidermy Training Category Menu

prepare first...

This response submitted by J on 10/29/05 at 5:33 AM. ( ) 208.252.179.23

I am not sure what your experience is thus far, but you may wish to attend a school, or at least on a weekend or 1 week seminar basis geared towards particular areas; gameheads or just fish,etc. before trying to apprentice.
This way, you actually have something to offer someone who would be teaching you, besides just taking up floor space. I constantly have people offering to "come in and give me a hand", next comes,"you wouldn't even have to pay me". but if the guy doesn't know anything, it is more like baby sitting, and constantly explaining. whereas someone who knew how to flesh properly, or even just properly skin an animal could be considered a real asset as this saves time.
I bring in one additional guy during the deer processing, but the first deer he ever skinned in front of me was the last one he skinned the way he did, I was just glad i had him bring in his own deer to show me what he could do, because if it was a customer's it would have costed me ordering a replacement cape.
Alot of guys could probably use shop help, but who should be paid? the guy doing the teaching or the person learning a valuable trade?

Your fired !

This response submitted by Donald Trump on 10/29/05 at 5:54 AM. ( ) 207.69.139.12

Ooops wrong show.

Tim,

This response submitted by Christina on 11/4/05 at 12:36 AM. ( ) 66.244.107.61

I started looking almost a month for someone to teach me. My situation was that I couldn't afford the schooling. When I was emailing taxidermists no one would resond. I posted an ad here and was contacted by a talented taxidermist 20 mins from where I live with-in a few days. It's only been a few weeks, I only go 3 times a week, and he can ask me to do things and I do them (I'm still slow though). I'm learning where things go in the shop so I clean up when we're done. He doesn't feel I'm in the way and seems happy to help. My advice is to put an ad up with your location and see where it goes. I was warned that there are a few that will only have you do the fleshing so they don't have to. I agree that you should learn that and spend time on the machine, but that shouldn't be the only thing you learn. Each time I go in my teacher and I look at books and he even let me borrow some of his tapes to watch. I hope you find one as good as mine. Good luck with your search!

Taxidermists don't offer aprenticeships, lol

This response submitted by Craig on 11/16/05 at 8:33 AM. ( ) 66.66.236.195

Most can't even keep their own heads above water. I sure would be nice if some did as it would be the way to train someone from the ground up to your methods. Unfortunately, most taxidermists have learned that once their students are trained they become the local competition. Most people get involved with taxidermy to be their own boss. That's why most fail in the business.

Taxidermy Apprentice

This response submitted by Kevin Wong on 11/30/05 at 11:17 AM. ( kwong&mgci.com ) 208.57.116.227

Hi,
My name is Kevin Wong with Wildlife Artistry out of West Sacramento, CA. I am looking for someone that is interest in Taxidermy. We will teach and train. Email if you are interest. Thank you!

Return to Taxidermy Training Category Menu