One on One training in Alaska

Submitted by Chad Layman on 11/21/05 at 10:57 PM. ( akjl@gci.net ) 207.207.58.100

Hey fella's,
I live in Anchorage and would like to find someone willing to give me some one on one training. I used to help out a friend of mine (a little)in taxidermy but he has since closed up his shop. I just want to learn shoulder mounts and maybe fiberglass fish. I have been considering going to a school but feel this will help me figure out if I really like it prior to dropping a load of cash on it. Also, I have been considering moving back home to start a business. I grew up along the Mississippi river in NW Illinois. Alot of deer hunters, and only one taxidermist for several hundred miles. I have seen several of his mounts and have yet to see what I would consider a quality mount. People just dont have a choice and he knows it. If any of you could give me some insight to the buisiness side of this I would appreciate it. Can you make a living at it? Is it really worth it? Do you enjoy your job or is it just a task? If you had a good job in a big city, would you give it up to do live and do taxidermy in a quiet country setting? Thank you in advance for any help you all can give me. Having spent some time in my friends shop I do know that this work is not easy and it truley is an art form. Thank You again.

Return to Taxidermy Training Category Menu

Return to Taxidermy Training Category Menu