I am looking for some training

Submitted by Ryan on 11/28/05 at 8:56 PM. ( coylerd@yahoo.com ) 67.51.238.202

I have been learning taxidermy for the last 3 years, basically have a good handle on things. All of my mounts have been for friends or stuff I have sold. My work looks pretty good for a beginner, some of it even looks better than a local taxidermists that has been doing it for 20 years. I am interested mostly in deer heads and fish. Fish are my real obsession, but deer heads are in high demand around here and I enjoy them. My goal is to be very good in these two areas. I really, really want to be a full time taxidermist within the next few years, and I also want to turn out exceptional work that customers will always be impressed with. Can anyone reccomend someone that can help me reach my goals. I do not have a lot of money, but I am working on setting a little aside whenever I can to make this possible. I live in upstate NY by the way. Thanks

Return to Taxidermy Training Category Menu

Give Jason Snowberger and Gary Bruch a call

This response submitted by K Cross on 11/28/05 at 9:36 PM. ( kjtjcross@charter.net ) 24.159.116.235

Ryan,Talk to these guys, you won't be sorry, I just finished the 20 wk school and it was awsome! Email me if you want,or just call Jason or Gary. good luck!...Keith

One on One Training

This response submitted by John Griffith on 11/29/05 at 5:24 AM. ( jgriff@highland.net ) 204.116.12.195

If your serious in what you say you should find someone who specializes in work-shops. These work shops are usually runed by persons who have achieved great Excellence in their work. They usually specialize in one thing and are exceptionally good in that particular field.

I have been getting students who have graduated from some of the Top proclaimed taxidermy schools in the World who have a curriculum that last 4-6 months. This is just to long of a period of time for detail learning when you start from scratch. Their instructors are basically unqualified to instruct and they don't have the time to teach you the details of the work which means so much. What kind of learning environment is it when you have 20-30 students in a class? It's OK when your studying the war of 1812 in a History class. You need to find someone who will work with you and one you feel comfortable with. Also, most of these work-shop guys don't charge an arm and a leg for their services. But, you basically are getting your money's worth because you can gauge your learning process by going back for a two-day or a week or whatever time line you want. Basically who can come up with $5,000 to 25,000 dollars to attend a school? Whereas, when you gauge your learning process in days and weeks it might run you somewhere between $500.00 to $3,500.00 and again these work-shop guys are usually super qualified in their field of expertise.

This learning process in this unique business of ours is one that takes a considerably amount of time. Believe it or not you will still not learn it all because it's all hands on. Amazing isn't it! So, take the words of experience and learn at your own pace. You'll enjoy it a lot more and it won't cost you a fortune.

John Griffith
www.griffithtaxidermy.com

John, do you have any reccomendations

This response submitted by Ryan on 11/29/05 at 3:44 PM. ( coylerd@yahoo.com ) 67.51.238.202

What you had to say was exactly the kind of thing I am looking for, do you have any reccomendations. I have looked into some of the schools that are out there, but I first off don't have thousands and thousands of dollars to spend. Also I am unable to take off for 2 or 3 months to go to one of these school. I have to keep working at my current job and keep my bills paid. If I could find a one-on-one person to study with maybe for 3-5 days for starters, then go home and come back a month or so later and brush up what I have learned and now practiced. Thanks for your input!

Contact Bill Yox

This response submitted by Mike on 12/1/05 at 9:23 AM. ( ) 64.91.85.48

He teaches deer heads in Brockport, NY.

Ditto on Yox

This response submitted by Ted on 12/3/05 at 3:00 PM. ( ) 24.72.93.227

I spent a week there, my whitetails improved a ton. Give him a call. Make sure you leave him a message, he's really busy this time of year.

Return to Taxidermy Training Category Menu