training in South Texas

Submitted by VG on 10/6/05 at 4:58 PM. ( ) 66.136.109.107

Does anyone know of a taxidermist who is willing to train one on one in south Texas? I have mounted several small mammals,snakes, and tanned deer skins, but I want good training from an experienced taxidermist. I still considere myself a beginner(obviously)and would like to learn deer shoulder mounting.

Return to Taxidermy Training Category Menu

Where are you from

This response submitted by Drew on 10/6/05 at 6:14 PM. ( ) 4.230.195.204

just was wondering where you were located. i am in san antonio and can have helped several "beginners" like yourself. if you are interested, leave a reply here with an email and i can send you references. thanks and good luck.

drew

I'm from

This response submitted by VG on 10/7/05 at 12:00 PM. ( Uvaldobro@aol.com ) 66.136.109.107

the Rio Grande Valley area. I've gone to some taxidermists to seek help in learning, but they just tell me to go to a school or buy how-to books. I understand they don't want to teach to someone and then have that someone take their job. I'm not interested in starting a business. Besides, it would take me an eternity to get established and have clients to a point where I make more money and have more benefits than my current job (just not gonna happen). I want to learn to mount my own deer and mount an occasional hunting partner's deer. I just want to do it the right way and learn how to take proper measurements etc. Videos are good, just that they don't have a troubleshoot section. That's where you need the advice. It would be good if the taxidermist is a reputable one.

Return to Taxidermy Training Category Menu